The Long Term Investor

Discussion in 'Investing' started by WXYZ, Oct 2, 2018.

1. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Thanks for the CRYPTO update Zuodany. GEE....that is too bad that Bitcoin is now.....as of this moment.....DOWN by 23% from the recent high this year. ALSO....poor ETH-USD.....also DOWN by over 12% from the recent high. BUMMER for the speculators and gamblers that like to play with FIRE.

2. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Looks like AMAZON is in hiring mode. Business must be good.

Amazon looks to hire 75,000, offers $17 an hour and $1K sign-on bonus

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazon-hiring-75000-workers-offers-17-per-hour-142506984.html

(BOLD is my opinion OR what I consider important content)
    "Amazon (AMZN) is going on another hiring spree. The company announced on Thursday that it is looking to bring on 75,000 additional employees across its fulfillment and transportation segments.

Amazon has been seeking huge numbers of employees to fill out positions at its warehouses throughout the pandemic, adding more than 400,000 workers due to increased demand from consumers, and bringing its total number of employees to more than 1 million.

The latest hiring frenzy will provide workers with an average starting salary of $17 per hour and a $1,000 sign-on bonus depending on the location. The company is also providing an extra $100 to new employees who come in fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

Despite its massive hiring initiatives over the past two years, Amazon is still just the nation’s second largest private employer behind Walmart, which has well over 2 million employees on its payroll.

'A better vision for how we create value for employees'
    Amazon has also faced a number of complaints over the years due to its treatment of workers in its fulfillment centers, the massive warehouses where employees package goods to be shipped out to customers.

Workers have complained of untenable conditions and requirements that force them to stay on their feet for hours and box items at an incredible pace. Drivers in particular have said they’ve needed to skip their own bathroom breaks to deliver packages on time, finding themselves having to urinate into plastic bottles.

In April, Amazon defeated a large-scale unionization drive at one of its fulfillment centers. Workers there were seeking to join the The Retail, Wholesale, and Department Store Union, or RWDSU, but fell far short of the necessary votes with 1,798 votes cast against the union and 738 were cast in its favor.

The RWDSU says it will appeal the vote over alleged interference by Amazon.

The retail giant, meanwhile, has pushed back against claims that it mistreats employees, pointing to its $15-per-hour starting salary and available health benefits.

In his final shareholder letter as CEO, however, Amazon founder Jeff Bezos acknowledged the union vote, writing that the company needed to do more for its employees.

Bezos wrote in the April letter. “While the voting results were lopsided and our direct relationship with employees is strong, it’s clear to me that we need a better vision for how we create value for employees — a vision for their success,”

Openings for the Amazon positions are available across a number of states, though the largest number of available spots are in Arizona, California, Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Washington, and Wisconsin."

MY COMMENT

AMAZON continues to grow out the business. This company is STILL in the process of adding huge numbers of workers to fill out their company needs for future growth. One thing about Amazon....they have never been afraid to spend money to make money.

3. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Well that was a nice come-back from the past couple of days. I got the typical gains today and was able to do a small beat of the SP500 by .05%.

Tomorrow will be a toss-up day. I wold think the momentum will be to continue the gains since the reporting of the PPI and CPI are a few days in the past and there is probably NOTHING tomorrow that would be a market driver. So, hopefully the momentum today will continue. Of course.....we will probably see the usual short term profit taking some time tomorrow.

Looks like DISNEY did not have a good day with earnings today......a miss......could have some negative impact tomorrow.

Disney Q2 revenue misses estimates as Disney+ subscribers fall short

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/disn...sults-pandemic-parks-streaming-151320608.html

4. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

MORTGAGE rates are......NOT....living up to the inflation story-line.

Mortgage rates just fell again, despite inflation soaring to 13-year high — what’s going on?

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/b1e613fa-07a0-3aef-8f29-1c4f6f78989d/mortgage-rates-just-fell.html

"While analysts fretted over the high rate of inflation in the U.S. economy, mortgage rates once again decreased.

The 30-year fixed-rate mortgage averaged 2.94% for the week ending May 13, down two basis points from the previous week, Freddie Mac FMCC, -2.35% reported Thursday. The benchmark mortgage rate has fallen since the end of March, when it reached the highest level since June of last year, and has remained under 3% for a month now.

The 15-year fixed-rate mortgage, meanwhile, fell 4 basis points to an average of 2.26%. The 5-year Treasury-indexed adjustable-rate mortgage averaged 2.59%, down 11 basis points from the previous week.

“Low rates offer homeowners an opportunity to lower their monthly payment by refinancing, and our most recent research shows that many borrowers, especially Black and Hispanic borrowers, who could benefit from refinancing still aren’t pursuing the option,” Freddie Mac chief economist Sam Khater said in the report.

The low-rate environment is also a boon to those looking to buy a home at a time when home prices are being pressured higher by strong demand and a lack of supply in the market.

The fall in mortgage rates came as somewhat of a surprise to market observers, given reports this week that pointed to a growing rate of inflation in the economy.

The price of consumer goods hit their highest level in 13 years in April, the U.S. Consumer Price Index released on Wednesday showed. A separate report released Thursday morning showed similar inflationary pressure on wholesale prices.

The last time inflation surged this high in one month Freddie Mac’s 30-year mortgage rate was 16.9%,” said Danielle Hale, chief economist at Realtor.com.

“While I don’t expect double-digit mortgage rates any time soon, I do expect mortgage rates to follow Treasury yields higher as the combination of abundant supply and concerns about inflation, mean that investors expect higher returns,” she added.

In theory, a steep uptick in inflation would force the central bank to tighten policy by hiking interest rates or slowing the pace of bond purchases.’

The Federal Reserve has largely dismissed concerns about inflation. In many cases, rising prices appear to be a pandemic-related fluke. For instance, the cost of airfare saw a record increase, which could be a reflection of people’s suddenly renewed interest in traveling as vaccinations roll out.

But if April’s inflation readings continue for a more extended period of time, the nation’s central bank will likely respond. And that could affect mortgage rates.

“In theory, a steep uptick in inflation would force the central bank to tighten policy by hiking interest rates or slowing the pace of bond purchases,” said Matthew Speakman, an economist with Zillow Z, -1.49% ZG, -1.48%.

Any shifts away from the Fed’s current outlook, he added, “will place more upward pressure on mortgage rates.”"

MY COMMENT

What does this tell you about the inflation story-line. NO.....a one month jump in inflation in consumer prices.....as we re-open the economy after a historic closure of the entire USA.....does not mean much. At least mortgage rates are giving that lesson.

I am sure this did come as a surprise to the inflation advocates. With the EXTREME DISTORTIONS to the economy due to the CLOSURE....it will take months to have any clue what is actually going on in the economy. I would think till at least the end of the year. Anyone trying to predict or project the economy from a few months at this point is a FOOL. The LABOR and EMPLOYMENT situation is also extremely distorted. NOT to mention....although I am......the fact that WELL OVER half the country is STILL not re-opened.

EVERYTHING is STILL up in the air. We need.......at the minimum.....SIX MONTHS of data to have the slightest clue what is actually happening. That time period will also give us some idea of the impact of the coming TAX HIKES as well as all the stimulus and government spending that has just been approved but is NOT YET out into the economy. In fact as I type this.....I am leaning to.....A YEAR....of data being needed to have any idea of what is actually going on.

Seems like a good reason for investors to continue to......DO NOTHING.

5. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

My portfolio is down 17 cents today, so I sold everything and will buy back in when the market goes up.

lol! :biggrin:

oldmanram likes this.
  6. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

OMG.....17cents. Thank God you had the brains to sell everything. I think you should start day trading magnesium futures.

TomB16 likes this.
  7. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

I wondered what people meant by the phrase, "light trading". :biggrin: :thumbsup:

8. emmett kelly

emmett kelly Well-Known Member

are you bringing your alter ego?

TomB16, WXYZ and zukodany like this.
  9. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

TomB16.....I got this as a private message on here today.....I thought you might be interested in this investment opportunity:

"Sir need you advise on stock trading .Wish to earn sizable income.Willing to share profits.Kindly oblige"

If you are not interested I will give it to Emmett.

10. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

This man seems interested in making a lot of money fast. That is not something I know anything about. Perhaps Rustic1 would best handle his request?

For the record, I don't particularly have an issue with Rustic1. He seems to have his own narrative and doesn't seem interested in conflicting points of view, so that brings somewhat adversarial interactions. I do believe he is fundamentally a good person. Perhaps he hasn't spent a lot of time on Internet social settings?

It would be nice if we could have a big tent discussion where traders, investors, serial murderers, and Amish cobblers could engage in civil discussion.

11. roadtonowhere08

roadtonowhere08 Well-Known Member

That's because he looks up to you. He prefers to disrespect those he disagrees with/looks down on. Shit always falls down. The part that makes it particularly funny at his expense is that you and WXYZ have a lot in common with investing philosophy. Kinda like shitting on Buffet and admiring Munger :duh:

And it definitely appears that zukodany has taken my suggestion to heart :lauging:

We do have that place. Here. Just one person is causing all the drama.

zukodany likes this.
  12. emmett kelly

speaking of alter egos, watched this last night on netflix. decent. check it out.

upload_2021-5-13_17-59-21.png

13. zukodany

zukodany Well-Known Member

I still think that Harvey Dent should’ve been president

14. Trahn Thompson

Trahn Thompson Active Member

On the investing front, will be adding Apple shares to my boys trusts at the open on a limit order. My account is on auto pilot not looking to add or sell. The only stock I'm bag holding is CRSP, a little red around all that green is OK with me. Happy Investing!

15. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Sounds like a very good buy Trahn. You are doing nicely for your boys.

Emmett.....I will check that out...I am always looking for new stuff to watch on Netflix. You been making any new movies lately?

16. emmett kelly

i put together a one man short loosely based on the videos @The Foot posts on here. put the camera on a tripod, hit record and had some fun. nothing worth sharing in public. now that things are getting back to normal will try to get a crew over here and shoot a decent short film in my garage. and i continue to rewrite my feature length script. this should be about the 4th rewrite. it's just not where it should be yet. had a writer friend read it and he gave me some good tips. thanks for asking.

WXYZ likes this.
  17. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Well I have watched a good amount of.......Love Death + Robots.......lately on Netflix and all those short films had me thinking about your films.

emmett kelly likes this.
  18. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Since I am no longer a Tesla shareholder I dont have an axe to grind....but this might be of interest to any that are trading the stock. Long term holders might be interested.....at least if it has an impact on the stock for a while.

Tesla may be much worse off in China than anyone thought

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/13/business/tesla-china-sales-decline/index.html

"Tesla's Chinese sales last month were much weaker than they originally appeared.

Although Tesla does not report monthly sales or regional revenue, the China Passenger Car Association earlier this week estimated Tesla's Chinese sales were down 27% from March to just under 26,000 cars — much worse than the overall 10% decline in China's electric vehicle sales overall.

But that's not the full story: The trade group later clarified that its April figure includes sales of vehicles built in China but exported to other markets. More than half of the Teslas initially reported as Chinese sales — 14,174 — were exported.

That's potentially a serious problem for Tesla, which opened its second auto assembly plant in Shanghai in late 2019 specifically to serve the crucial Chinese market. China is the world's largest market for overall car sales, and electric vehicles make up a much bigger share of auto sales than in any other major market — about 4.5% in 2020, more than twice the EV share of the US car market last year.

Tesla's sales to Chinese buyers plunged by more than 60% between March and April, according to independent Chinese EV analyst Zhu Yulong. Newly insured Tesla vehicles fell to just under 12,000 vehicles in April from about 34,500 in March, Yulong reported. Those numbers correspond closely to the CPCA's non-export number in April, and total number in March.

Why Tesla sales are plummeting in China

Yulong believes that the drop in sales is due to bad publicity that Tesla has suffered in the Chinese market since the start of April.
    Customers protested the company at China's largest auto show in Shanghai last month, complaining about problems with their cars. The company also has five Chinese regulatory agencies investigating the quality of its Shanghai-made Model 3 cars. Chinese media also reported that China's military had banned Tesla vehicles from entering its complexes, expressing concerns that onboard cameras could be used for spying — a charge Tesla CEO Elon Musk has denied.

"Tesla has suffered really strong negative coverage recently. It has damaged its sales," Yulong wrote in a recent analysis.
    Tesla critics in the United States were quick to point out that the weaker sales numbers represent a sign of trouble for the automaker's bottom line.

"Keep in mind that the negative state-affiliated media campaign inside China around Tesla's car quality didn't begin until late April," noted Gordon Johnson of GLJ Research, one of the harshest critics of Tesla. "So the impact (whatever that may be) likely won't be seen until May/June 2021 sales figures are out."

Tumbling shares

Tesla (TSLA) shares have been falling this week on worries about its Chinese sales, and on a report from Reuters earlier that Tesla has decided not to buy land next to its Shanghai plant for possible future expansion.

Shares fell 2% on Tuesday when the initial figures from CPCA suggested a 27% drop in Chinese sales, were down another 4% Wednesday and closed down 3% Thursday.

A spectacular 743% share price gain in 2020 made Tesla one of the most valuable US companies of any kind and by far the world's most valuable automaker, worth as much as the six largest automakers combined.

But after continuing that run in the first few weeks of 2021, shares topped out in late January after the company reported slightly disappointing fourth quarter earnings. Tesla shares have lost a third of their value through Wednesday's close from their record high close in late January, sending the stock into bear market territory."

MY COMMENT

This is perhaps relevant to people trading the stock. REAL.....long term investors....this is just the reality of owning a young company that is in the build out phase of their business.....you have to be prepared to take the UP and DOWN stuff....while the business sorts out.......the good and the bad. Any young business can be a wild ride.

19. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Futures look very nice. Lets come out swinging and make some money tomorrow......EVERYONE.

20. zukodany

zukodany Well-Known Member

I’m waiting for this whole turbulent climate to pass and reach some sort of a plateau before strategising any sort of rebalance to my portfolio. It’s obvious now to see how the tech brands getting hammered, then rebound, and now looks like the Dow is following suit. The main difference is the Dow didn’t have such an intense bull year like the Nasdaq LAST year. In my mind it seems like many are trying to get the Dow to outperform the nasdaq THIS year but because investors ARENT BUYING IT it’s creating tremendous volatility all across the board.
    Who will win?
    Simple answer - the successful and powerful companies - they always do