The Long Term Investor

Discussion in 'Investing' started by WXYZ, Oct 2, 2018.

1. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

I dont have ANY shows this week....BUMMER. So tomorrow we will rehearse......something we dont get to do very often. At least I will get paid tomorrow for the last show we did.

Spud likes this.
  2. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

A.....very big show.....in the markets next week. Four of my ten stocks will be reporting. I am looking forward to the drama. I am sure it will be a big impact for the markets also since the four companies are.....MICROSOFT, GOOGLE, APPLE, and AMAZON.

How these companies have been treated during the bear market this year is simply RIDICULOUS. There are the largest most successful companies in the world....BILLIONS and BILLIONS in cash....on their balance sheets.

andyvds and Spud like this.
  3. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Apple rarely misses if ever. Their number is the one I want to see. Tesla barely missed as was to be expected.

4. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

In addition to the BIG TECH earnings listed above....as part of an exciting week starting tomorrow.....we will ALSO get the GDP preliminary reading on Thursday. EARNINGS are continuing to come in BETTER than predicted.......gee....what a shock.

Big Tech earnings and GDP data: What to know this week

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/stoc...gs-gdp-data-preview-october-22-164003374.html

(BOLD is my opinion OR what I consider important content)

"Wall Street is in for a hectic last week of October as some of the market’s most heavily-weighted companies report financial results and the government releases its quarterly scorecard of the U.S. economy’s health.

On the earnings front, tech giants Microsoft (MSFT), Alphabet (GOOGL), Meta Platforms (FB), Apple (AAPL), and Amazon (AMZN) – which alone represent roughly a quarter of the S&P 500 index – will be the most closely watched names of the earnings season among 165 corporations scheduled to release figures.

A bevy of economic reports will also keep investors busy, with a preliminary reading of third-quarter gross domestic product (GDP) due out Thursday taking top billing. Economists expect the advance estimate to show the U.S. economy grew at an annualized pace of 2.3% last quarter after back-to-back contractions in Q1 and Q2, per consensus estimates from Bloomberg.

Earnings that have so far come in better-than-feared helped power the major averages toward weekly gains of roughly 5% for each index on Friday, the best five-day performance since June for the S&P 500, Dow, and Nasdaq. Fedspeak that signaled officials may discuss slowing the magnitude of interest rate hikes at the end of this year also stoked optimism among investors.

For this quarter, the number of S&P 500 reporting positive earnings surprises and the magnitude of those estimate beats remain below their 5-year and 10-year averages, according to data from FactSet Research. But the earnings growth rate for the third quarter has improved in the past week compared to the prior.

Earnings from tech heavyweights Tesla (TSLA) and Snap (SNAP) didn’t leave much hope that their sector peers may continue that trend in the week ahead, with Tesla’s revenue disappointing analysts and Snap unveiling its smallest revenue increase since its 2017 IPO.

[​IMG]
    On a year-over-year basis, the S&P 500 is reporting its lowest earnings growth since Q3 2020. (Source: FactSet Research)
    On Tuesday, Google parent company Alphabet will be the first of technology behemoths to report. Analysts have warned that macro issues such as negative currency headwinds are likely to drive down growth rates for the companies, along with others in the mega-cap tech lineup.

Strength in the U.S. dollar has hit companies hard, with strategists at Citigroup estimating that the greenback’s 10% bump will cut $15 to $20 from S&P 500 earnings per share. The dollar index has surged more than 17% against a basket of other currencies, including the euro and the yen. For U.S. companies, this means that any revenues from overseas will be reduced when converted back to dollars.

That headwind is expected to show up in Amazon’s results on Thursday, given that roughly 30% of the e-commerce conglomerate’s revenues internationally derived, per estimates from CFRA research. Same goes for Microsoft, with analysts at Goldman Sachs warning that “foreign exchange headwinds continue to be overhangs" even as demand is likely to remain healthy across commercial offerings from the company for its PCs and cloud services.

For Apple, momentum in iPhone demand will be one of the biggest factors monitored by stock-watchers. Morgan Stanley analyst Erik Woodring in a recent note predicted “demand has held up better than expected in recent months.”

Meta and Twitter (TWTR) will also report on Wednesday and Thursday, respectively, as part of tech’s 72-hour earnings rollout.

Other notable financial results on tap include the Coca-Cola (KO), General Electric (GE), General Motors (GM), Ford Motor (F), Comcast (CMCSA), Visa (V), Mastercard (MA), and Exxon Mobil (XOM), among others.

In economic data, GDP data is expected to show the U.S. economy grew last quarter after two straight negative quarterly readings – which met the textbook definition of a recession, even as the government said the NBER’s panel of economists must officially declare a recession.

Economic releases on the calendar for the week also consist of the S&P Case-Shiller Home Price Index, new and pending home sales data, and the Conference Board's Consumer Confidence Index.

According to Pantheon Economics’ Chief Economist Ian Shepherdson, the anticipated rebound in GDP, the broadest measure of economic activity, is attributed to a comeback in net exports, correction from plunges in the first and second quarters, and technical factors lifting the inventory numbers.

“But the outlook for the first half of next year has materially darkened, and the chance of a brief recession has increased, thanks to the substantial and broad tightening of financial conditions,” Shepherdson added, citing higher rates across the curve, widening corporate spreads, falling stock prices, the emerging rollover in home prices, and the strong dollar."

"Economic Calendar
    Monday: Chicago Fed National Activity Index, September (0.00 during prior month); S&P Global U.S. Manufacturing PMI, October Preliminary (51.0 expected, 52.0 during prior month); S&P Global U.S. Services PMI, October Preliminary (49.6 expected, 49.3 during prior month); S&P Global U.S. Composite PMI, October Preliminary (49.5 during prior month)

Tuesday: FHFA Housing Pricing Index, August (-0.6% expected, -0.6% during prior month); S&P CoreLogic Case-Shiller 20-City Composite, month-over-month, August (-0.80% expected, -0.44% during prior month); S&P CoreLogic Case-Shiller 20-City Composite, year-over-year, August (14.00% expected, 16.06% during prior month); S&P CoreLogic Case-Shiller U.S. National Home Price Index (15.77% during prior month); Conference Board Consumer Confidence, October (105.5 expected, 108.0 during prior month); Conference Board Present Situation, October (149.6 during prior month); Conference Board Expectations, October (80.3 during prior month); Richmond Fed Manufacturing Index, October (-5 expected, 0 during prior month)

Wednesday: MBA Mortgage Applications, week ended Oct. 21 (-4.5% during prior week); Advance Goods Trade Balance, September (-$87.7 billion expected, -$87.3 billion during prior month); Wholesale Inventories, month-over-month, September Preliminary (1.1% expected, 1.3% during previous month); Retail Inventories, month-over-month, September (1.2% expected, 1.4% during prior month); New Home Sales NSA, September (580,000 expected, 685,000 during prior month); New Home Sales, month-over-month, September (-15.3% expected, -28.8% during prior month)

Thursday: GDP Annualized, quarter-over-quarter, 3Q A (2.3% expected, -0.6% prior); Durable goods orders, September Preliminary (0.6% expected, -0.2% during prior month); Personal Consumption, quarter-over-quarter, 3Q A (0.8% expected, 2.0% prior); Durables excluding transportation, September Preliminary (0.2% expected, 0.3% during prior month); GDP Price Index, quarter-over-quarter, 3Q A (5.3% expected, 9.0% prior); Non-defense capital goods orders excluding aircraft, Septmeber Preliminary (0.2% expected, 0.3% during prior month); Core PCE, quarter-over-quarter, 3Q A (4.6% expected, 4.7% prior); Non-defense capital goods shipments excluding aircraft, September Preliminary (0.3% during prior month); Initial Jobless Claims, week ended Oct. 22 (225,000 expected, 214,000 during prior week); Continuing Claims, week ended Oct. 15 (1.385 million during prior week); Kansas City Manufacturing Index, October (-2 expected, 1 during prior week)

Friday: Employment Cost Index, 3Q (1.2% expected, 1.3% during prior quarter); Personal Income, month-over-month, September (0.3% expected, 0.3% during prior month); Personal Spending, month-over-month, September (0.4% expected, 0.4% during prior month); Real Personal Spending, month-over-month, September (0.1% expected, 0.1% during prior month); PCE Deflator, month-over-month, September (0.3% expected, 0.3% during prior month); PCE Deflator, year-over-year, September (6.3% expected, 6.2% during prior month); PCE Core Deflator, month-over-month, September (0.5% expected, 0.6% during prior month); Pending Home Sales, month-over-month, September (-5.3% expected, -2.0% during prior month); Pending Home Sales NSA, year-over-year, September (-22.5% during prior month); University of Michigan Consumer Sentiment, October final (59.7 expected, 59.8 prior)"

"Earnings Calendar
    Monday: Bank of Hawaii (BOH), Crande (CR), Discover Financial Services (DFS), Logitech International (LOGI), Schnitzer Steel (SCHN), Zions Bancorp (ZION)

Tuesday: 3M (MMM), Alphabet (GOOG, GOOGL), Archer-Daniels-Midland (ADM), Biogen (BIIB), Boyd Gaming (BYD), Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG) Chubb (CB), Coca-Cola (KO), General Electric (GE), General Motors (GM), JetBlue Airways (JBLU), Kimberly-Clark (KMB), Mattel (MAT), Microsoft (MSFT), Sherwin-Williams (SHW), Skechers (SKX), Spotify (SPOT), Texas Instruments (TXN), UPS (UPS), Valero Energy (VLO), Visa (V), Wyndham Hotels & Resorts (WH), Xerox (XRX)

Wednesday: Boeing (BA), Boston Scientific (BSX), Bristol Myers Squibb (BMY), Coursera (COUR), Ford Motor (F), General Dynamics (GD), Harley-Davidson (HOG), Hilton Worldwide Holdings (HLT), Kraft Heinz (KHC), Lending Club (LC), Meta Platforms (META), O'Reilly Automotive (ORLY), Spirit Airlines, (SAVE), Thermo Fisher Scientific (TMO), Upwork (UPWK), V.F. Corp (VFC), Wingstop (WING)

Thursday: Amazon.com (AMZN), Apple (AAPL), Altria (MO), Ares Management (ARES), AutoNation (AN), Caterpillar (CAT), Capital One (COF), Comcast (CMCSA), CubeSmart (CUBE), Gilead Sciences (GILD), Hertz Global (HTZ), Honeywell (HON), Intel (INTC), Keurig Dr Pepper (KDP), Mastercard (MA), McDonald's (MCD), Merck (MRK), Northrop Grumman (NOC), Oshkosh (OSK), Overstock.com (OSTK), Pinterest (PINS), Royal Caribbean (RCL), S&P Global (SPGI), Shopify (SHOP), Southwest Air (LUV), T. Rowe Price (TROW), Twitter (TWTR), T-Mobile (TMUS), Willis Towers Watson (WTW)

Friday: AbbVie (ABBV), AllianceBernstein (AB), Aon (AON), Bloomin' Brands (BLMN), Colgate-Palmolive (CL), Exxon Mobil (XOM), Newell Brands (NWL), NextEra Energy (NEE)"

MY COMMENT

I have no clue what is going to be reported for any of the earnings or the GDP. I do believe that the BIG TECH, consumer conglomerate, big manufacturing, and other companies highlighted above......will tell the story of the economy WAY MORE than the GDP figure.

I DO NOT consider Facebook as anywhere near equal to the other BIG TECH companies.....they are floundering as their former business model has now turned into some.....crappy animation.......that has no purpose. There is a TOTAL LACK OF VISION at that company.

As to the rest of the BIG TECH companies......does one quarter of distorted earnings really matter for anything at all. No....it is not a harbinger of things to come......... since earnings are currently being distorted by monetary headwinds, supply chain issues, and the big mess that is China.

No doubt whatever the result is will be NIT-PICKED to death in the media and the markets.

5. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

AS USUAL.......NO.....I will not invest in Chinese companies.......they are basically ALL owned and controlled by the worlds most brutal communist dictatorship. Any company manufacturing there and giving away their tech to the Chinese government.....should be sued by their shareholders.

Chinese Markets Tumble as Xi’s Tightening Grip Alarms Investors

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/china-stocks-slide-leadership-overhaul-012926088.html

"(Bloomberg) -- China’s yuan weakened and country’s stocks tumbled to the lowest level since the depths of the 2008 global financial crisis in Hong Kong, a stark rebuke of President Xi Jinping’s move to stack his leadership ranks with loyalists.

The offshore yuan weakened as much as 0.7% to 7.2782 per dollar Monday morning to approach a record low seen last week. The Hang Seng China Enterprises Index, a gauge of Chinese stocks in the city, plunged more than 5% to the lowest since 2008 even as economic growth data beat estimates. China’s benchmark CSI 300 Index fell as much as 1.9%.

Market setbacks following the reshuffle, which highlighted Xi’s unquestioned grip over the ruling party, show deep disappointment over a likely continuation of policies staked on Covid Zero and state-driven companies. Tech giants Alibaba Group Holding Ltd., Tencent Holdings Ltd. and Meituan all tumbled as investors remained skeptical that Xi and his allies will seek a rejuvenation of private enterprise.

“The market is concerned that with so many Xi supporters elected, Xi’s unfettered ability to enact policies that are not market friendly is now cemented,” said Justin Tang, head of Asian research at United First Partners.

While the appointment of Xi’s allies may help accelerate key agendas, the addition of Covid Zero advocates to the Politburo Standing Committee diminishes the chance of any early loosening of Covid restrictions.

The more centralized power becomes, the more the risk of overzealous policy implementation based on directives from the top,” said Duncan Wrigley, chief China economist at Pantheon Macroeconomics Ltd. “This happened in some of the lockdowns in the second quarter.”

Investors were disappointed during the congress last week as Xi defended his Covid Zero policy and fell short of offering stimulus to shore up the property market. The onshore yuan fell to the weakest level in 14 years and the CSI 300 slumped in all but one session last week.

A slew of China’s key economic data -- released Monday after an abrupt delay lat week --- showed a mixed recovery.

The economy grew faster than expected in the third quarter with industrial activity improving despite Covid restrictions and a property slump, but retail sales weakened.

Meantime, the People’s Bank of China set the yuan fixing at 7.1230 per dollar, away from the recent pattern of near 7.11 per dollar.

“The yuan fixing above 7.12 implies that the PBOC may start to loosen its tight grip on the CNY fixing,” said Ken Cheung, chief Asian FX strategist at Mizuho Bank. Solid GDP figures highlighted rebound momentum after the Shanghai lockdown, but weak retail sales indicate Covid restrictions are still weighing on consumption and growth, he said."

MY COMMENT

AS IF......any of the above economic analysis matters when it comes to China. They dont care. You are not talking about an economic system......you are talking about dictatorial rule by one man....in a COMMUNIST country. That country is run by brutal totalitarians.....FANATICS. They dont give a sh*t......about the economic data or anything else. They dont care what the markets think or how well their companies are received in the rest of the world.

Any investment in ANY Chinese company is totally.....ILLUSORY. Your money and shares can be taken or made worthless in an instant.....and there is NO RECOURSE.

6. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

We could use my fun little NIO position as a example of things that can go *POOF* :lauging:

WXYZ likes this.
  7. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

We open another day with a mixed market. On the UP side.....the DOW and the SP500....especially the DOW. AND....the Ten Year yield is also UP.

NASDAQ....not even close to being UP.....but it is early in the day......and we are on the market wheel.......where we stop nobody knows.

8. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

I like this little article.....good advice to any investor. I am DIFFERENTIATING the term "investor" here....fro the term "trader".

Make Money or Gossip About Fed Policy?

https://allstarcharts.com/make-money-or-gossip-about-fed-policy/

"Why are you an investor?

Have you asked yourself that recently?

Why do you take time out of your life to enter into the arena that we call markets?

Are you here to make money?

Or would you rather gossip about fed??

What is your purpose?

Like I told Maria Bartiromo last week, every day I watch grown adults appoint themselves to the monetary policy police.

It’s fascinating.

But I wonder, these people know they can’t hear them right?

Policy makers don’t actually care what you think.

It’s like when I yell at the TV when Tua for throws an interception or Kyle Lowry air balls another 3-pointer.

They can’t hear me. They don’t care what I think.

But I do it anyway.

I’ll probably do some more of that this weekend in fact.

But that’s what I’m there for. I’m not in it to make money. I don’t bet on sports. I actually believe I’m part of the team.

And yea I’m a little nuts. But that’s ok. At least I recognize it. And I enjoy the time I spend with the Dolphins or Hurricanes or Heat, no matter how frustrating it can be at times.

But that’s just a hobby.

The market, as much as I may enjoy it, is NOT a hobby.

It’s a business. And investing means being in the business of doing only ONE thing – Profit.

The lesson here is to get your dopamine elsewhere. For me it’s sports. For you it may be hiking, or chess.

But to lose money just because, “the fed doesn’t know what they’re doing” is no way to go through life.

So just think about it.

Make money?

Or gossip about fed policy?

It’s up to you.

But did you notice how the Dow Jones Industrial Average just rallied for a 3rd straight week?

Or how one of the largest components of the world’s worst sector is breaking out and ripping to new 6-month highs?

How about the fact that fewer and fewer stocks are able to go down in price?

Look at this chart where you can see the most important sector rotation in America taking place underneath the surface

With lower lows in price for the S&P500, although for just a brief moment, notice the higher lower this whole time in Consumer Discretionary vs Consumer Staples stocks:

[​IMG]

We saw the exact opposite of this coming into the year, when Discretionary was already rolling over relative to Staples, before the S&P500 peaked.

What’s wrong with buying stocks that are going up?

Why must we gossip about the fed all day?

What are we even doing here?

Talk to me. Someone please explain to me the benefits of spending time criticizing the fed, or guessing what the fed is going to do next, or sensationalizing words like transitory or pivot, or now “blink” I believe is the new one the kids are talking about.

It’s so stupid.

I can’t.

Anyway, like I said, we’re buying stocks that are going up.

Seems irresponsible not to.

What about you?

Tell me how you’re feeling."

MY COMMENT

REALLY.....it seems like the financial media is nothing but speculation and gossip mongering these days. IGNORE IT ALL. Focus on the only goal that counts.....achieving your investment goals.......and.....MAKING MONEY. That is the only reason to invest in anything.....to MAKE MONEY.

For some reason.....people lose track of this FACT. It is all about MONEY. Of course that is a good thing.....since financial security leads to being able to provide for your family, establish a good life for your kids, being able to provide a good education, being able to support your church or charity, etc, etc, etc.

Smokie likes this.
  9. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

OHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOO.....we are losing the gains in the DOW......and......we have now seen the SP500 turn red. I am MELTING.....MEELLLLLLTING.

No one under 40 knows what I am talking about.....but I have not thought of "Mr Bill" in many decades.......till today.

The markets will probably continue to be very erratic today. UP and down, UP and down. There is lots going on this week to drive people crazy with the BIG earnings and the GDP. I dont see much talk about the GDP.....everyone seems to assume it will be good.

10. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Here is an economic survey......not that anyone cares.

U.S. business activity weakens again in October -S&P Global survey

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-business-activity-weakens-again-134848756.html

"(Reuters) - U.S. business activity contracted for a fourth straight month in October, with manufacturers and services firms in a monthly survey of purchasing managers both reporting weaker client demand, the latest evidence of an economy softening in the face of high inflation and rising interest rates.

S&P Global said on Monday its flash U.S. Composite PMI Output Index, which tracks the manufacturing and services sectors, fell to 47.3 this month from a final reading of 49.5 in September.

A reading below 50 indicates contraction in the private sector. Outside the slump during the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic in the spring of 2020, business output is retreating at the swiftest pace since the 2007-2009 global financial crisis, by S&P Global's measure at least.

"The U.S. economic downturn gathered significant momentum in October, while confidence in the outlook also deteriorated sharply," S&P Chief Business Economist Chris Williamson said in a statement. "The decline was led by a downward lurch in services activity, fueled by the rising cost of living and tightening financial conditions."

But the S&P Global survey may exaggerate the slowdown. Rival surveys from the Institute for Supply Management have shown manufacturing and services industries still expanding through September.

Though gross domestic product contracted in the first and second quarters, the income side of the growth ledger showed the economy growing at a moderate pace over that period, and overall expansion likely resumed in the third quarter. Estimates among economists polled by Reuters for the first reading of third-quarter GDP, due from the Commerce Department on Thursday, range from an annual growth rate of 0.8% to 3.7%, with a median estimate of 2.4%.

That said, the economy is slowing as the Federal Reserve aggressively tightens monetary policy to cool demand and bring inflation back to the U.S. central bank's 2% target.

The Fed delivered a 75-basis-point rate hike in September, its third straight increase of that size, and a fourth of that magnitude is expected at next week's policy-setting meeting, though how aggressive policymakers remain after that is seen as one of the issues up for debate at the Nov. 1-2 meeting.

The flash composite new orders index slid to 49.0 from a final reading of 50.9 in September.

The survey's measure of prices paid by businesses for inputs edged up to 67.8 from 67.3, which had been the lowest since January 2021, reflecting the uneven pace of easing in supply bottlenecks. Businesses are also not raising prices for their products as much as they did earlier in the year, in part because of slowing demand.

The survey's flash manufacturing PMI fell to 49.9 this month, its first contractionary reading since June 2020, from 52.0 in September. Economists polled by Reuters had forecast the index slipping to 51.0. New orders dropped sharply to their lowest since the COVID lockdowns in the spring of 2020.

The survey's flash services sector PMI fell to 46.6 from 49.3 in September. Services businesses reported both input prices and prices charged nudged up in October after declining steadily since late spring, a reflection of the uneven pace of easing in inflation pressures."

MY COMMENT

I dont put much weight in economic data.....especially surveys. At best this survey......and the others mentioned.....are mixed. In reality.....ACTUAL BUSINESS RESULTS......are the best survey.

11. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

HERE is where the short term markets are coming from today.

Stock market news live updates: Stocks waver ahead of big earnings week

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/stock-market-news-live-updates-october-24-115112610-113747162.html

"U.S. stocks started the week wavering as Wall Street awaits earnings from the market’s biggest players.

The S&P 500 (^GSPC) edged higher 0.4%, while the Dow Jones Industrial Average (^DJI) ticked up 0.5%. The technology-heavy Nasdaq Composite (^IXIC) slid by nearly 0.1% at the open.

Treasury yields retreated after a relentless climb last week that saw the 10-year note temporarily hit a 14-year high above 4.3%. On Friday, the Wall Street Journal reported that some Federal Reserve officials were concerned with the pace of the interest rate hikes ahead of their November meeting.

San Francisco Federal Reserve President Mary Daly said that the central bank should avoid putting the economy into an “unforced downturn” and that it’s time to consider slowing the pace of interest rate hikes.

“I think that is the wrong message,” Interactive Brokers Chairman and Founder Thomas Peterffy told Yahoo Finance Live on Friday following Daly's remarks. “I think the Fed has to send the message that we are going to stamp out inflation, no matter what. And they are in a better position if they can scare the market into easing up on spending rather than having to force them to ease up on it.”

On the earnings front, the five biggest tech firms – Microsoft (MSFT), Alphabet (GOOGL), Meta Platforms (FB), Apple (AAPL), and Amazon (AMZN) – which alone represent roughly a quarter of the S&P 500 index's market capitalization — are set to release their figures this week.

Third-quarter earnings have come in better than expected so far, with beats from companies like Netflix (NFLX), AT&T (T), and IBM (IBM) countering misses from companies like Snap (SNAP), which tumbled 28% Friday after disappointing results.

Data from FactSet shows that S&P 500 companies that have missed expectations this earnings season have fallen 4.7% on average in the two days before their report through the two days after, compared with the five-year average of 2.2%.

Still, overall investor expectations are relatively lower than usual.

Earnings expectations, if you strip out the energy sector, they went from about positive 6% back in July for this quarter's earnings, all the way down to… negative 3%,” BMO Wealth Management Chief Investment Strategist Yung-Yu Ma told Yahoo Finance Live on Friday. “And so once you lower the bar that much, it does set up an environment where it's a lot easier to beat earnings, a lot easier to have relief rallies.”

Strength in the U.S. dollar has weighed on corporate profits hard. The dollar gained on Monday against the Chinese yuan weakened. In the European markets, the pound traded stronger as U.K. government bonds rallied after Boris Johnson pulled out of the race for prime minister, leaving former chancellor Rishi Sunak closer to becoming the next prime minister.

Elsewhere, Chinese stocks saw their worst day since 2008 and U.S.-listed Chinese stocks Alibaba (BABA) and JD.com Inc. (JD) tumbled Monday as President Xi Jinping embarked on a precedent-breaking third term controlling over the ruling Communist Party."

MY COMMENT

AS usual...this year.....nothing new here. ALL of this stuff has been known for a good length of time now. Move on.....nothing to see here. Another erratic and volatile day today......actually pretty boring.

12. Smokie

Smokie Well-Known Member

Agree with above. We have really been stuck on replay for the past several months. It is just going to be a process of outlasting all the hype/speculation on what may or may not happen. I think the majority of long term investors are just sticking to their plan and moving forward with what they have constructed.

That is the thing with long term investing. The majority of the time is spent doing nothing in regard to what you have created as your roadmap to success. There are times when you may reevaluate a particular holding, adjust some allocations, or make some adjustment along the timeline of your plan. For the most part, the short term stuff just isn't going to require any actionable event on your part.

While this whole bear market has been a pain, it will pass at some point. We will go on to good times again and then we will have another bear market down the road. It's just how it is. Keep at what has worked for you and has a proven track record to you. If you are not satisfied/confident in what your plan is, then by all means research it and make it your own and something you can stick with through good and bad times.

I think sometimes long term investors can fall into the trap of thinking they need to be doing something more or chasing something different. I mean look at the every day financial marketing. There is always someone pushing some better way, a shortcut, something they have discovered to change the risk, and so on. There are all sorts of charts, comparisons, ideas, analysis, and things you "should" be doing. Pretty soon, one begins to think...maybe there is something I need to do. Resist it. Go for a walk or something.

I can't tell you if your plan is right...and neither can they. We all do things differently in some aspect I suppose. We just have to sit down and examine what we have and why we are doing it. Be content with what is working for you.

13. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

It is ALL a function of time......just like nearly everything in life.

In the markets it is all about TIME and COMPOUNDING.....unless you are a trader.

It is amazing to me how the investment industry has......quietly.....substituted the word "trader" for the former word......"investor". I believe this is TOTALLY INTENTIONAL. Words have meaning and words have an impact on behavior and thinking. It is TOTALLY to the advantage of the brokers to have people thinking with a mindset of being a "trader".....or "trading". It is a very SUBTLE shift in language and ties in will all the massive advertising that the brokerage an financial business uses to encourage people to be more active in their......"investing". It is marketing and sales based.

That is why I try to NEVER call what I am a......"trader". I am an INVESTOR. Once in a while I might make a trade in one of my accounts........but I NEVER mentally use the term....."trader".....over the word....."investor".

Smokie likes this.
  14. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Half way through the day we have turned nicely positive......across the board. We have a nice "probability" that we will end up with ANOTHER......BEAUTIFUL DAY in the markets. I would watch out for the last hour or so today......since there will be people trying to position themselves for the earnings reports tomorrow from GOOGL and MSFT. If we can survive the potential for a last minute drop heading into the close......we could see some nice money today.

I dont see many people acknowledging that we have been experiencing a nice little upturn over the past few weeks. A STEALTH RALLY. We are bouncing back off the market low that we achieved.....whatever Friday that was a few weeks ago.

For at least 3-4 months now......if not a bit more......we have been holding firm against breaking through the lows that we have seen 2-3 times this year. We seem to be holding on and continuing to form a bottom to support the markets. Although, that does not mean that the bear market is over. That will ONLY be noticeable in hindsight.......months or years from now.

At the moment I have 8 of 10 stocks UP today. My "LOSERS" today are TSLA and NKE. I have a nice moderate gain in my account.......SHOW ME THE MONEY.

15. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

NICE.....another BEAUTIFUL DAY in the markets today. ALL the big Indexes Up today. We are seeing some REAL strength and resilience in the markets lately. We are seeing what the markets would be if the FED was not constantly in the way.....and.....if the media would let go of their obsession with inflation and general economics.

16. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

A good day today to start the week.

Stocks soar to kick off key earnings week

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/stock-market-news-live-updates-october-24-115112610-113747162.html

"U.S. stocks rose on Monday to begin a key week in which Wall Street awaits earnings from some of the market’s biggest players.

The S&P 500 (^GSPC) climbed about 1.2% while the Dow Jones Industrial Average (^DJI) advanced over 400 points, or about 1.3%. The technology-heavy Nasdaq Composite (^IXIC) rose 0.9% after starting the day in the red.

Yields on U.S. Treasury bonds inched higher on Monday after a relentless climb last week that saw the 10-year note temporarily hit a 14-year high above 4.3%.

On Friday, the Wall Street Journal reported that some Federal Reserve officials were concerned with the pace of the interest rate hikes ahead of their November meeting, prompting stocks to rally to end a winning week."

Chinese stocks also saw their worst day since 2008, and U.S.-listed Chinese stocks Alibaba (BABA) and JD.com Inc. (JD) tumbled Monday as President Xi Jinping embarked on a precedent-breaking third term controlling over the ruling Communist Party.

The news battered other stocks that have exposure to China. Shares of Tesla (TSLA) slid 4% after the carmaker lowered prices for its vehicles sold in China as the company faces fierce competition from local rivals in its second-biggest market.

Elsewhere, crypto traded mixed as Bitcoin headed toward the $19,000 level, while Ethereum retreated as their supply seems to be descending since the Merge.

"Bitcoin remains stuck around the $19,000 level and that will probably remain the case until we get beyond next week’s FOMC policy meeting," wrote Edward Moya, senior analyst at OANDA."

MY COMMENT

I am surprised to see above that they are saying that Bitcoin is reacting to the upcoming FOMC meeting. We have heard for years how Bitcoin was disconnected from any of the government and economic stuff.

We will get some of the BIG earnings....OUT OF THE WAY.....tomorrow. Looking forward o moving on.

17. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

As to TESLA.....in the news lately.....we need to get back to ELON being focused on TESLA and not on other distractions like Twitter. That should soon be a done deal.....hopefully he is not going to have to sell more stock to complete the purchase. He needs to let TSLA shareholders know that the distractions are over and he is going to FOCUS his time and energy on TESLA.

18. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

I made some good money today. I was....GREEN. I ended the same as I was earlier in the day.....8 stocks UP and 2 DOWN. The two that closed down were the same as earlier......NKE and TSLA. I also got in a good beat on the SP500 by.....0.45% today.

ANOTHER DAY.......ANOTHER DOLLAR.

I have nearly built my account back to where it was before the latest market drop. I now have a cushion going forward. I seem to be STUCK in the same general range.......from my account low to where I am about now. Actually I dont consider it "stuck"...I see it as a good thing. The markets are consolidating and forming a base range.......to move up from here......or......at least not break the prior low. Just part of the process.

Spud likes this.
  19. Smokie

Smokie Well-Known Member

KO (Coke) gets in a beat this morning.

(CNBC).

Coca-Cola on Tuesday raised its full-year outlook after beating Wall Street’s expectations for its quarterly earnings and revenue.

The company also provided a look toward 2023, saying that it expects inflation to keep raising its expenses and commodity prices to stay volatile. Foreign currency is also projected to weigh on Coke’s earnings and revenue. However, the company won’t provide its full outlook for next year until early 2023.

Shares of the company rose 3% in premarket trading.

Here’s what the company reported compared with what Wall Street was expecting, based on a survey of analysts by Refinitiv:

• Earnings per share: 69 cents adjusted vs. 64 cents expected
    • Revenue: $11.05 billion adjusted vs. $10.52 billion expected
    The beverage giant reported third-quarter net income of $2.83 billion, or 65 cents per share, up from $2.47 billion, or 57 cents per share, a year earlier.

Excluding items, Coke earned 69 cents per share.

Adjusted net sales rose 10% to $11.05 billion, topping expectations of $10.52 billion. Organic revenue climbed 16%, fueled by higher prices across Coke’s portfolio.

Unit case volume, which strips out the impact of currency and price changes, grew 4% in the quarter. Other consumer giants, like Tide maker Procter & Gamble, have seen their volume fall as consumers feel inflation hit their wallets. Coke said it’s been trying to appeal to budget-conscious consumers through product offerings like value packs in North America.

Coke’s sparkling soft drinks segment, which includes its namesake soda, reported volume growth of 3%. Coke Zero Sugar was once again a standout, with its volume rising 11% in the quarter.

The company’s hydration, sports, coffee and tea division saw volume growth of 5%, fueled by Powerade, Body armor and the expansion of Costa Coffee.

Coke’s nutrition, juice, dairy and plant-based beverages division reported flat volume for the quarter. Coke said the lackluster performance was due to declining demand for local brands in Eastern Europe.

For 2022, Coke now expects comparable earnings per share growth of 6% to 7%, up from its prior range of 5% to 6%. The company also raised its outlook for organic revenue growth to 14% to 15% from a range of 12% to 13%.

In the fourth quarter, Coke is forecasting that foreign currency will weigh on its comparable net sales by 8% and comparable earnings per share by 9%, including the impact of hedged positions.

Spud likes this.
  20. Smokie

Smokie Well-Known Member

Also looks like GM and UPS got in a beat on earnings as well. Of course all eyes will be on MFST, Google, AAPL, and AMZN this week too.

Nice to see some of these companies doing better than expected.