The Long Term Investor

Discussion in 'Investing' started by WXYZ, Oct 2, 2018.

1. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

A small glimmer of intelligence in the TECH WORLD.

Apple will reportedly begin producing some MacBooks in Vietnam in 2023 as it shifts from China

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/20/app...oducing-some-macbooks-in-vietnam-in-2023.html

(BOLD is my opinion OR what I consider important content)

"Key Points
    • Apple will begin producing some of its MacBook computers in Vietnam, according to a Nikkei Asia report.
    • The move reflects the tech giant’s continued push to expand its manufacturing beyond China.
    • Apple’s assembly partner Foxconn could begin producing MacBooks in the country as soon as May.
    Apple will begin producing some of its MacBook computers in Vietnam in 2023, according to a Nikkei Asia report Tuesday.

The move reflects the tech giant’s push to expand its manufacturing beyond China, as it grapples with increased U.S.-China trade tensions and supply chain disruptions related to Covid lockdowns.

Apple was reportedly in talks in August to move some production for its Apple Watches, MacBooks and HomePods to Vietnam. Now, the company’s assembly partner Foxconn could begin producing MacBooks in the country as soon as May, according to Nikkei Asia.

Apple makes around 20 million to 24 million MacBooks each year, according to the report. Nikkei Asia said the company has been planning to shift some of its MacBook production to Vietnam for the last two years.

The company’s manufacturing partners already build some iPhones in India and have been in talks to build AirPods there, too.

Meanwhile, Apple CEO Tim Cook has committed to buying U.S.-made chips from a new Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing factory in Arizona. TSMC is building two plants in the state, with the first set to open in 2024 and another to open in 2026.

Shares of Apple were down less than 1% in premarket trading Tuesday.

It’s been a challenging year for Apple to navigate the supply chain. Last month, factory employees clashed with security personnel at the Zhengzhou plant in China, the world’s largest iPhone factory, run by Foxconn. The factory was also hit by a Covid outbreak in October that caused workers to flee the facility as the company moved to control the outbreak by isolating infected people.

Analysts said the unrest in China will impact Apple’s December quarter, historically the company’s biggest quarter, which is bolstered by the holiday shopping season.

Apple did not immediately respond to a request for comment."

MY COMMENT

This company and all of tech......need to review and evaluate their entire supply chain from top to bottom and....REMOVE CHINA from the process. They also need to drastically review and revamp their process of negotiating manufacturing deals. What they have all allowed China to do for decades is just.....SICK. Sick for business and sick for society an sick for the USA.

TomB16 likes this.
  2. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

AND.....just like that......the markets lose the green and turn red......at least in the NASDAQ and the SP500.

BUMMER

3. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

For sure.

WFH is OK for a very tiny fraction of workers, the rest do nothing when they are not in the office.

There is also the issue of the millennial work ethic. It's not just millennials but it is extremely difficult to find people who will engage, these days. There are exceptions but extreme few.

#13583 TomB16, Dec 20, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
    WXYZ likes this.
  4. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd like to see some evidence for this. I've found anecdotally with people I know they're more productive because there's less waste-of-time meetings in the office, less water cooler discussions, etc. At work I can get stuck in a 30 minute conversation about the football games over the weekend. I think a good worker will be just as productive at home as in the office, negligible difference either way. A bad worker will be just as productive at home as in the office, negligible difference either way.

Also, office efficiency and how much a person cares about their job might be different now, that doesn't make it better or worse. As a shareholder you might care, but as a human it can be argued either way how much one should care about living in the office.

WXYZ and TomB16 like this.
  5. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Well I did post a couple of articles here that show productivity is WAY DOWN......can you prove it is work from home doing it.....no. BUT....it was a HUGE drop....the largest drop in 40-60 years. (I say 40-60 years because I cant remember the exact number and I am too lazy to look back at the article)

I really dont care....at all....."as a human". I REALLY care as a business person and shareholder.

6. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Moving on.....I was SLIGHTLY red today. five stocks UP and five stocks down. I did get beat by the SP500 by 0.21% today. I will take it.......it was such a minimal loss.....it feels good after the past 4 days.

7. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

NOTHING new going on today or the rest of this month. So....nothing new in this little article about the markets today. Read it if you wish.....I am posting it to document how we closed today.

Dow closes higher to end four-day losing streak

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/19/stock-market-futures-open-to-close-news.html

MY COMMENT

HERE is where we are right now this month......another LOSER of a month.

"Even with Tuesday’s gains, stocks are on track to end the week and month in the red. The Dow is down 5.03% month to date, the S&P 500 has shed 6.34% and the Nasdaq has lost 8.03%."

Some day these BIG LOSSES are going to end. I can see it out there in about 4-6 months. At that point the FED will be done.

We are BEARING THE BURDEN of being long term investors in a nasty year long BEAR MARKET.

BUT.....I laugh in the face of the bear market......I spit in the face of the bear market. I say BRING IT ON......it that all you got.

8. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

I am wasting time while I wait for the NIKE earnings. Not that I have high expectations.

9. Rayak

Rayak Active Member

I totally agree with the underlined part of your post, above - disagree with the bolded part. I think it's self-evident that the potential for a bad worker to abuse WFH time is greater than the potential for that same worker to waste time in the office with management and co-workers proximate.

So what it comes down to is: are there enough "bad workers" to make WFH a liability for a company or organization? Probably depends on the specific company or organization - I feel sure that in some cases, a company could have enough "bad workers" abuse WFH policy enough to significantly effect their bottom line - or in worst case scenarios, put them out of business.

Other companies / organizations with enough "good workers" might do just as well with WFH, especially if they can get cost saving through less office space expense - not just rent, but utilities, maintenance, cleaning, etc.

#13589 Rayak, Dec 20, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
    WXYZ and roadtonowhere08 like this.
  10. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

They should just do it.

Rayak, T0rm3nted, WXYZ and 1 other person like this.
  11. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

HERE they are......NIKE

Nike earnings and revenue top estimates, but inventories and costs rise

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/20/nike-nke-q2-earnings-2023.html

(BOLD is my opinion OR what I consider important content)

"Key Points
    • Nike’s earnings and revenue easily beat Wall Street’s expectations, but rising inventories squeezed the company’s margins.
    • Over the last year, Nike has continuously beat projections but has struggled with overstocked inventory levels.

on Tuesday reported quarterly results that easily topped Wall Street’s expectations, but rising inventory and costs squeezed the company’s margins.

Here’s how Nike did in its second fiscal quarter compared with what Wall Street was anticipating, based on a survey of analysts by Refinitiv:
    • Earnings per share: 85 cents vs. 64 cents expected
    • Revenue: $13.32 billion vs. $12.57 billion expected

The company reported net income for the three-month period ended November 30 $1.33 billion, or 85 cents per share, compared with $1.34 billion, or 83 cents per share, a year earlier.

Nike reported revenue of $13.32 billion, up 17% from $11.36 billion a year earlier.

Over the past three quarters, Nike has beaten Wall Street’s expectations, but like other retailers, has struggled with inflated inventory levels that arose from supply chain disruptions, rising consumer demand and unpredictable in-transit shipping times.

Nike’s business in China, its third biggest market by revenue, took some hits, most recently because of lingering Covid lockdowns and other pandemic-related restrictions that remained in place until the end of the quarter. Overall retail sales in the country fell by 5.9% in November compared to a year ago and clothes and shoe sales plunged by 15.6%, according to the National Bureau of Statistics of China.

After earnings from Nike’s fiscal first quarter were released in September, executives said the company’s inventory had grown 65% over the last year in North America alone and as a result, the company enacted an aggressive promotional strategy to liquidate the merchandise and make way for new products.

The plan was a key part of Nike’s strategy to shift its sales directly to consumers and away from wholesalers by improving the in-store experience and enticing customers to shop directly from the company online.

On Friday, Nike announced its new “Jordan World of Flight Milan” store located on Via Torino, a famed shopping district in the Italian locale well known for its designer shoe stores.

The initiative reflects the steps Nike is taking to grow the company as a direct-to-consumer brand.

The store, called a “first-of-its-kind retail experience” by the company in a news release, has a built-in members lounge and will include interactive shopping experiences tailored to fans of the renowned sneaker brand.

Read the company’s earnings release here."

MY COMMENT

A BIG earnings BEAT. Especially considering the drag of the Chinese market.

Of course.....I am sure the market and the........"professionals"........will nit-pick it to death and find some negative aspect of what was reported to focus on.

TomB16 likes this.
  12. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

What these work from home companies are LOSING and GOING TO LOSE in cohesiveness, cooperation, training, culture, identity, etc, etc, etc......is HUGE and irreplaceable.

We have now managed to find a way.....WFH.....to move the "participation trophy culture"......into the work place. As the last long term generation of corporate workers retire.....the baby boomers......it is going to be a BIG SHOCK to business how little their work forces actually know or care.

Rayak, IndependentCandy14 and JaysonW like this.
  13. roadtonowhere08

roadtonowhere08 Well-Known Member

I think this is about right when assessing this issue.

WXYZ likes this.
  14. Husker

Husker Member

Good God. Oh how I despise another liberal forum. Such great teaching here but you can't have the sheep stay in their own lane. Just gotta fuck it up for everyone else.

WXYZ likes this.
  15. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Well with 7 days to go for the markets this year......I am at (-28.8%) year to date. Somehow I dont think I am going to avoid a losing year for 2022.

I cant remember what I did last year for total return......so I will use the SP500 as a guideline. In 2021 the SP500 had a return of.....+28.99%. So assuming that I end the year about where I am right now.......I have gone backwards in the old time machine by......TWO YEARS.

Actually this year feels much worse than that......so I am satisfied considering the FED and the BEAR MARKET this year. Who knows I might be able to get back 2-4% if we have a FEROCIOUS SANTA RALLY some time over the last 7 days.

Edited: to make it "two years".

#13595 WXYZ, Dec 20, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
    IndependentCandy14 likes this.
  16. roadtonowhere08

roadtonowhere08 Well-Known Member

You wanna elaborate on that?

17. IndependentCandy14

IndependentCandy14 Active Member

WFH is a Joke.

I have seen Social Media Posts about Working from Home. I’ll try to be Brief Explaining this Post I Saw.
    It was Ridiculous.

The Post was Photo of a Guy’s Laptop with an Avocado on the Key Board.

Comment or the Post was Something Along the Lines of “I’m WFH. MS Word Open. Avocado Continuously Typing one Letter Forever. IT Department Thinks I am Working”.

What a Joke. LoL.

I Love Office Settings.
    It Provides a Sense of Comradery and Support for Difficult Tasks.
    It Allows People to Interact in Person and Be Social instead of Being Online all day.

Just my Opinion.

-IndependentCandy14

Jwalker, rsandberg7425 and WXYZ like this.
  18. zukodany

zukodany Well-Known Member

Regarding the WFH debate.
    I was just talking to my friend about how, if you had someone in 2019 watch any news channels from today (2022), they’d probably asses that the world went crazy just by looking at all the interviews with just about anyone, from politicians to ceos, conducted with kitchen, dinning room and sometimes even bathroom backgrounds.

19. zukodany

zukodany Well-Known Member

Also let me know when was the last time you called your insurance company to get a quote and wasn’t interrupted by barking dogs or baby cooing

Rayak and IndependentCandy14 like this.
  20. IndependentCandy14

IndependentCandy14 Active Member

LoL.
    I was Just Wondering that the Other day while watching Auntie Cathy Woods, Elon, Jack Dorsey, and Some Analyst Guy on a Youtube Podcast Type Show.

Auntie Cathy was in her Office.
    Elon was in his Library.
    Jack was in what looked to be a Netted Tent in the Rainforest.
    Analyst Guy was in some Hallway or Living Room in his House.

I was Chuckling about their settings while watching them.
    I am Chuckling Now. LoL.

-IndependentCandy14

zukodany likes this.