The Long Term Investor

Discussion in 'Investing' started by WXYZ, Oct 2, 2018.

1. zukodany

zukodany Well-Known Member

Continuing on the Dis chatter… They should have a Magnificent 7 LOOSER index… like the exact opposite of Mag-7
    I nominate
    Dis, Pfe, Nike, tgt, bud, VZ, Ba

WXYZ, Smokie and TireSmoke like this.
  2. roadtonowhere08

roadtonowhere08 Well-Known Member

Bought a bit more just now. Don't let me down :D

3. zukodany

zukodany Well-Known Member

Road you’re doing just fine. Should consider a handler name change to at least “somewhere”, strongly recommending “to the top”

roadtonowhere08 likes this.
  4. roadtonowhere08

You're not the first person to comment on the username. It was a spur of the moment thing I came up with when I was in middle school. Back then, if you bought a computer at Best Buy and signed up for a year of MSN internet, you got a $400 rebate. I did not know I would have to come up with an email username on the spot at the register. I just thought about one of my favorite Ozzy songs at the time, and the rest is history. I never bothered to change it all these years later. Funny how that stuff comes about.

zukodany, WXYZ and Smokie like this.
  5. TireSmoke

TireSmoke Active Member

Road, I like the username! Some of my best adventures are going about with no destination in mind. I think the vast majority of people get caught up in the destination and forget to enjoy the journey.

I am in agreeance to Zuko's Mag 7 looser index. What a shame. I'm sure those names were a staple in many investors portfolios before they jumped on the train.

roadtonowhere08, WXYZ and Smokie like this.
  6. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Great concept Zukodany.

From that list I have owned......NIKE, BOEING, and PFIZER.....at various times in the past and distant past. Would not touch any of them with a 30 foot pole now.

zukodany likes this.
  7. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Nice FAT open today. We are seeing the REAL market today and this week. The opening week turmoil is over. Now....we move on to a normal market.

zukodany likes this.
  8. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

I am finding NOTHING in the media today.....again. SO...

Stock market news today: US stocks inch higher in countdown to inflation data

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/stoc...r-in-countdown-to-inflation-data-123146205.ht

(BOLD is my opinion OR what I consider important content)

"US stocks edged higher on Wednesday, with tech equities reaching for gains as investors waited for fresh inflation data and absorbed a dramatic turn in events in spot bitcoin ETFs.

Dow Jones Industrial Average (^DJI) and benchmark S&P 500 (^GSPC) were up about 0.2%.The Nasdaq Composite (^IXIC) rose about 0.3%, after tech stocks eked out the sole win among the major indexes the previous day.

Stock investors are likely treading carefully ahead of Thursday's US consumer inflation reading for December, watching for signs of further cooling that could prompt the Federal Reserve to pivot on policy. Recent days have seen worries rise that the market is pricing in too many interest-rate cuts in 2024, as once-rampant confidence for an early cut fades.

Meanwhile, bitcoin (BTC-USD) wavered but held above $45,000 after a tweet from the SEC's X account sparked swings in the leading cryptocurrency. The regulator blamed a hack for the false post announcing it had approved spot bitcoin ETFs. The decision on whether the likes of BlackRock and Ark Invest can start offering the funds is expected on Wednesday.

Also in focus is the coming start of fourth-quarter earnings cycle, led Friday by Wall Street banking heavyweights such as JPMorgan Chase (JPM). The season will be critical for stocks, after their rough start to 2024."

MY COMMENT

We wait for EARNINGS. In the meantime.....NOTHING....is going on outside of the normal market process. So nice.

9. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Speaking of NIKE.....that company is a disaster. There is only a single cause.....MANAGEMENT. Their stock results....ALL NEGATIVE for:

1 day.
    5 days.
    1 month.
    6 months.
    YTD
    1 year.
    3 years.

BUT....they are positive for FIVE YEARS.....at +41%....."total return". What a DISMAL record. Very happy that I sold when i did last year. BUT....I am NOT happy to see this long time previous holding of mine going through this totally unnecessary business failure.

10. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Just took a look at my account for today. A GOOD start to the day.

I have six of seven stocks in the GREEN today. My single RED stock is....of course.....the worlds most disrespected company right now....APPLE. BUT....it is just slightly in the red....and...I suspect it will be green by the close. It was green earlier today.

11. roadtonowhere08

Very true. Some of my favorite travel memories are like that as well.

12. rg7803

rg7803 Well-Known Member

As a thumb rule I allways split my assets in different banks, brokers etc. It is the history of avoiding "to put all your eggs in one basket".
    I had one of those accounts specially created for trading. Due to many reasons, beeing the primary ones lack of time and faible results (not negative but not suf strong enoughf to keep doing it), I decided to convert that particular account (IB in Ireland) in another long term account.
    This one I called it "Global"; I had other for Europe, other for USA big caps quite similar with WXYZ portfolio, other just for Iberian companies (spanish and portuguese companies), other for bonds (yes I do have also bonds, national bonds from EURO area).
    This new "eggs basket, "Global", is made what I think are some of the best companies in their sectors.
    Today I will share with you those companies, explaining in a nimble way what they do.
    With more time, at weekends, I will go deeper on that explanation.
    For most of you it is just a curiosity. To me it is a way of sharing a bit with you some new names and say THANK YOU from what I learn here everytime I do come here.
    So lets start next post, this one is getting big.

WXYZ likes this.
  13. rg7803

rg7803 Well-Known Member

Global:
    BTI, British American Tobacco p.l.c. (BTI). Sort of dividend king, reasonable long term bet, (tobacco and nicotine products to consumers worldwide.).
    Diageo plc (DGE.L). UK comp. Similar, drinking (alcoholic beverages).
    Vidrala, S.A. (VID.MC). Spanish comp, one of world top glass producers for food and beverage products.
    L'Air Liquide S.A. (AI.PA). French comp. Similar to Linde. Gases, technologies, and services for the industrial and health sectors.
    Corticeira Amorim, S.G.P.S., S.A. (COR.LS). Portuguese comp. World top cork producer.
    Visa Inc. (V). You all know Visa...
    Exor N.V. (EXO.AS). Dutch comp. Centenary dutch comp, very profitable, w/ lots of subsidiaries, including stakes in companies like Ferrari, Stellantis etc.
    Microsoft Corporation (MSFT). You all know Microsoft...
    LVMH Moët Hennessy - Louis Vuitton, Société Européenne (MC.PA). French company, sells luxury goods you all know .
    Compañía de Distribución Integral Logista Holdings, S.A. (LOG.MC). Spanish comp. A distributor and logistics operator (in Europe).
    Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (BRK-B). You all know this one, also.

I will try to update this portfolio, in return terms, every 3 months.
    Good luck to all of us!

WXYZ likes this.
  14. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Very good post.....RG. It is nice to get some input from someone living in the EU regarding some EU companies.

15. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Poor....disrespected....Apple. Now all the "experts" are going to pile on. A bunch of lemmings. They are all afraid of being wrong.

Apple stock faces three downgrades, but not everyone is down on the company

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/appl...veryone-is-down-on-the-company-192846428.html

I remember not too long ago it was Microsoft that was being torn down every day. Personally....I NEVER invest according to analyst expectations.

16. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

I will probably not be posting right away after the close. I will be watching a painting in an ART AUCTION that ends between 3:00 and 4:00 my time. I am intending to bid....unless the online bids take me out before I even get started.

17. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Done with my auction. I did not get the winning bid....but...my bid cost someone about $2000. When I bid they imediately went one step over my maximum bid amount. That took the painting from $3500 to $5000. So they will pay an extra $1500 plus an extra $300 buyers premium plus some extra sales tax due to my bid.

18. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

BUT....I did WIN in the markets today. EVERY one of my stocks was in the green today. In fact HD was up by +3.6% and NVDA was up by 2.28%. I think this was a new closing high for NVIDIA. I also got in a good beat on the SP500 by 1.10% today.

LETS KEEP IT GOING TO WEEKS END.

19. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Here is the news of the day.....although I will not partake.

SEC approves rule changes that pave the way for bitcoin ETFs

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/01/10/sec-approves-rule-changes-that-pave-the-way-for-bitcoin-etfs.html

"Key Points
    • The approval could prove to be a landmark event in the adoption of cryptocurrency by mainstream finance.
    • The decision will likely lead to the conversion of the Grayscale Bitcoin Trust, which holds about $29 billion of the cryptocurrency, into an ETF.
    • Traditional asset managers including BlackRock and Fidelity are also poised to launch bitcoin funds."
    MY COMMENT

Now......the Bitcoin people finally got what they have been wanting for a long, long, time. Now......we will see if this triggers all the HUGE price gains that have been predicted for many years.

20. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

The obvious story of the day.....with a nice green open.

Consumer prices rose 0.3% in December, higher than expected, pushing the annual rate to 3.4%

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/01/11/cpi...ushing-the-annual-rate-to-3point4percent.html

(BOLD is my opinion OR what I consider important content)

"Key Points
    • The consumer price index increased 0.3% in December and 3.4% from a year ago, compared with respective estimates of 0.2% and 3.2%
    • Excluding volatile food and energy prices, the so-called core CPI also rose 0.3% for the month and 3.9% from a year ago, compared with respective estimates of 0.3% and 3.8%.
    • Much of the increase came due to rising shelter costs. The category rose 0.5% for the month and accounted for more than half the core CPI increase.
    • Wages adjusted for inflation posted a 0.2% gain on the month, while rising a modest 0.8% from a year ago.
    Prices that consumers pay for a variety of goods and services rose more than expected in December, according to a Labor Department measure Thursday that shows inflation still holding a grip on the U.S. economy.

The consumer price index increased 0.3% for the month, higher than the 0.2% estimate at a time when most economists and policymakers see inflationary pressures easing. On a 12-month basis, the CPI closed 2023 up 3.4%. Economists surveyed by Dow Jones had been looking for a year-over-year reading of 3.2%.

Excluding volatile food and energy prices, the so-called core CPI also rose 0.3% for the month and 3.9% from a year ago, compared with respective estimates of 0.3% and 3.8%.

Much of the increase came due to rising shelter costs. The category rose 0.5% for the month and accounted for more than half the core CPI increase. On annual basis, shelter costs increased 6.2%, or about two-thirds of the rise in inflation.

Fed officials largely expect shelter costs to decline through the year as renewed leases reflect lower rents.

Stock market futures were negative following the release while Treasury yields held slightly higher.

Food prices increased 0.2% in December, the same as in November. Egg prices surged 8.9% on the month, but were still down 23.8% annually. Energy posted a 0.4% gain after sliding 2.3% in November as gasoline rose 0.2%, but natural gas declined 0.4%. Airline fares increased 1% for the month.

In other key price indexes, motor vehicle insurance bounced 1.5% higher, medical care accelerated by 0.6% and used vehicle prices, a key contributor in the initial inflation surge, increased another 0.5% after being up 1.6% in November.

Wages adjusted for inflation posted a 0.2% gain on the month, while rising a modest 0.8% from a year ago, the Bureau of Labor Statistics said in a separate release.

The inflation readings cover the same month that the Federal Reserve held its key borrowing rate steady for the third straight meeting. Along with that decision, policymakers indicated that they could begin cutting rates this year so long as the inflation data continues to cooperate.

Despite the higher-than-expected inflation readings, futures traders continued to assign a strong possibility that the Fed would start cutting interest rates in March. The CME Group’s FedWatch gauge of futures pricing indicated about a 63% probability of a March reduction, slightly lower than where it stood Wednesday.

However, the probability also reflects a divide between the market and the Fed about the timing and extent of rate cuts in 2024. Markets expect six rate cuts this year; Fed projections point to just three.

These are not bad numbers, but they do show that disinflation progress is still slow and unlikely to be a straight line down to 2%,” said Seema Shah, chief global strategist at Principal Asset Management. “Certainly, as long as shelter inflation remains stubbornly elevated, the Fed will keep pushing back at the idea of imminent rate cuts.”

In recent days several policymakers have avoided committing to easier monetary policy.

New York Fed President John Williams said Wednesday that inflation clearly has abated from its more than 40-year peak in mid-2022 and is making solid progress. But he gave no clues as to when he thinks rate cuts will be appropriate and insisted that “restrictive” policy is likely to stay in place for some time.

Other officials, such as Fed Governor Michelle Bowman and Dallas Fed President Lorie Logan, also expressed skepticism and said they wouldn’t hesitate to hike should inflation turn higher.

Those comments come against a resilient economic backdrop, with unemployment holding below 4% and consumers continuing to spend despite evidence of rising debt loads and contracting savings. Fed officials are paying particular attention to services prices as evidence for whether inflation is showing durable signs of getting back to the central bank’s 2% target.

Services less energy increased 0.4% for the month and 5.3% from a year ago."

MY COMMENT

We are seeing a good economy with good balance. Jobs are being created but mostly from government and the private jobs are not the best quality. We are also seeing big revisions DOWN on the jobs numbers every month. Inflation is solidly in the NORMAL RANGE.......3-4%.

AND.....the markets are fine with it. NOW....on to earnings.