The Long Term Investor

Discussion in 'Investing' started by WXYZ, Oct 2, 2018.

1. zukodany

zukodany Well-Known Member

….. Annnnnd it’s a beat. Now what???

WXYZ likes this.
  2. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Here is the first info that I see:

Nvidia earnings are out – here are the numbers

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/21/nvidia-nvda-earnings-report-q4-2024.html

(BOLD is my opinion OR what I consider important content)

Nvidia reported earnings after the bell. Here’s what the company reported compared with what Wall Street was expecting, based on a survey of analysts by LSEG, formerly known as Refinitiv:

Earnings: $5.15 adjusted per share. That may not compare with the $4.64 adjusted per share expected

Revenue: $22.10 billion. That may not compare with the $20.62 billion expected

3. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

The company release:

NVIDIA Announces Financial Results for Fourth Quarter and Fiscal 2024

https://investor.nvidia.com/news/pr...l-Results-for-Fourth-Quarter-and-Fiscal-2024/

"
    • Record quarterly revenue of $22.1 billion, up 22% from Q3, up 265% from year ago
    • Record quarterly Data Center revenue of $18.4 billion, up 27% from Q3, up 409% from year ago
    • Record full-year revenue of $60.9 billion, up 126%

SANTA CLARA, Calif., Feb. 21, 2024 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- NVIDIA (NASDAQ: NVDA) today reported revenue for the fourth quarter ended January 28, 2024, of $22.1 billion, up 22% from the previous quarter and up 265% from a year ago.

For the quarter, GAAP earnings per diluted share was $4.93, up 33% from the previous quarter and up 765% from a year ago. Non-GAAP earnings per diluted share was $5.16, up 28% from the previous quarter and up 486% from a year ago.

For fiscal 2024, revenue was up 126% to $60.9 billion. GAAP earnings per diluted share was $11.93, up 586% from a year ago. Non-GAAP earnings per diluted share was $12.96, up 288% from a year ago.

Accelerated computing and generative AI have hit the tipping point. Demand is surging worldwide across companies, industries and nations,” said Jensen Huang, founder and CEO of NVIDIA.

“Our Data Center platform is powered by increasingly diverse drivers — demand for data processing, training and inference from large cloud-service providers and GPU-specialized ones, as well as from enterprise software and consumer internet companies. Vertical industries — led by auto, financial services and healthcare — are now at a multibillion-dollar level.

“NVIDIA RTX, introduced less than six years ago, is now a massive PC platform for generative AI, enjoyed by 100 million gamers and creators. The year ahead will bring major new product cycles with exceptional innovations to help propel our industry forward. Come join us at next month’s GTC, where we and our rich ecosystem will reveal the exciting future ahead,” he said.

NVIDIA will pay its next quarterly cash dividend of $0.04 per share on March 27, 2024, to all shareholders of record on March 6, 2024.

Q4 Fiscal 2024 Summary

GAAP
    ($ in millions, except earnings
    per share) Q4 FY24 Q3 FY24 Q4 FY23 Q/Q Y/Y
    Revenue $22,103 $18,120 $6,051 Up 22% Up 265%
    Gross margin 76.0% 74.0% 63.3% Up 2.0 pts Up 12.7 pts
    Operating expenses $3,176 $2,983 $2,576 Up 6% Up 23%
    Operating income $13,615 $10,417 $1,257 Up 31% Up 983%
    Net income $12,285 $9,243 $1,414 Up 33% Up 769%
    Diluted earnings per share $4.93 $3.71 $0.57 Up 33% Up 765%

Non-GAAP
    per share) Q4 FY24 Q3 FY24 Q4 FY23 Q/Q Y/Y
    Revenue $22,103 $18,120 $6,051 Up 22% Up 265%
    Gross margin 76.7% 75.0% 66.1% Up 1.7 pts Up 10.6 pts
    Operating expenses $2,210 $2,026 $1,775 Up 9% Up 25%
    Operating income $14,749 $11,557 $2,224 Up 28% Up 563%
    Net income $12,839 $10,020 $2,174 Up 28% Up 491%
    Diluted earnings per share $5.16 $4.02 $0.88 Up 28% Up 486%

Fiscal 2024 Summary

GAAP
    per share) FY24 FY23 Y/Y
    Revenue $60,922 $26,974 Up 126%
    Gross margin 72.7% 56.9% Up 15.8 pts
    Operating expenses $11,329 $11,132 Up 2%
    Operating income $32,972 $4,224 Up 681%
    Net income $29,760 $4,368 Up 581%
    Diluted earnings per share $11.93 $1.74 Up 586%

Non-GAAP
    per share) FY24 FY23 Y/Y
    Revenue $60,922 $26,974 Up 126%
    Gross margin 73.8% 59.2% Up 14.6 pts
    Operating expenses $7,825 $6,925 Up 13%
    Operating income $37,134 $9,040 Up 311%
    Net income $32,312 $8,366 Up 286%
    Diluted earnings per share $12.96 $3.34 Up 288%

Outlook
    NVIDIA’s outlook for the first quarter of fiscal 2025 is as follows:

• Revenue is expected to be $24.0 billion, plus or minus 2%.
    • GAAP and non-GAAP gross margins are expected to be 76.3% and 77.0%, respectively, plus or minus 50 basis points.
    • GAAP and non-GAAP operating expenses are expected to be approximately $3.5 billion and $2.5 billion, respectively.
    • GAAP and non-GAAP other income and expense are expected to be an income of approximately $250 million, excluding gains and losses from non-affiliated investments.
    • GAAP and non-GAAP tax rates are expected to be 17.0%, plus or minus 1%, excluding any discrete items.
    Highlights

NVIDIA achieved progress since its previous earnings announcement in these areas:

Data Center

Gaming

• Fourth-quarter revenue was $2.9 billion, flat from the previous quarter and up 56% from a year ago. Full-year revenue rose 15% to $10.4 billion.
    • Launched GeForce RTX™ 40 SUPER Series GPUs, starting at $599, which support the latest NVIDIA RTX™ technologies, including DLSS 3.5 Ray Reconstruction and NVIDIA Reflex.
    • Announced generative AI capabilities for its installed base of over 100 million RTX AI PCs, including Tensor-RT™ LLM to accelerate inference on large language models, and Chat with RTX, a tech demo that lets users personalize a chatbot with their own content.
    • Introduced microservices for the NVIDIA Avatar Cloud Engine, allowing game and application developers to integrate state-of-the-art generative AI models into non-playable characters.
    • Reached the milestone of 500 AI-powered RTX games and applications utilizing NVIDIA DLSS, ray tracing and other NVIDIA RTX technologies.
    Professional Visualization

• Fourth-quarter revenue was $463 million, up 11% from the previous quarter and up 105% from a year ago. Full-year revenue rose 1% to $1.6 billion.
    • Announced adoption of NVIDIA Omniverse™ by the global automotive-configurator ecosystem.
    • Announced the NVIDIA RTX 2000 Ada Generation GPU, bringing the latest AI, graphics and compute technology to compact workstations.
    Automotive

• Fourth-quarter revenue was $281 million, up 8% from the previous quarter and down 4% from a year ago. Full-year revenue rose 21% to $1.1 billion.
    • Announced further adoption of its NVIDIA DRIVE® platform, with Great Wall Motors, ZEEKR and Xiaomi using DRIVE Orin™ to power intelligent automated-driving systems and Li Auto selecting DRIVE Thor™ as its centralized car computer.
    CFO Commentary
    Commentary on the quarter by Colette Kress, NVIDIA’s executive vice president and chief financial officer, is available at https://investor.nvidia.com.

etc, etc, etc.

MY COMMENT

Let the nit-picking and parsing begin. The spin will be massive throughout the financial media. Guidance as usual will be the short term key.

4. zukodany

Such nonsense really. Does this mean anything? Of course not. It’s just random noise, it’s not even noise, it’s just nothing. People are worried about the market being bullish in general and they picked NVDA as their trophy.
    This foolish behavior and fear mongering will be repeated again in EVERY SINGLE EARNING CALL the company will have going into the future
    I feel bad for all the suckers that sold in FEAR of NOTHING.
    … Actually I don’t feel bad for them at all, nothing can help them at this point

roadtonowhere08 likes this.
  5. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Initial reaction is good....the stock is UP by +$45 after hours. +6.70%. BUT....basically meaningless.

6. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

BUY....SELL....BUY....SELL....BUY....SELL. OMG I dont know what to do. I am so confused. My head is exploding.

Never-mind the above......I guess I will simply....DO NOTHING.

Lori Myers and roadtonowhere08 like this.
  7. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

A bit of discussion.

Nvidia results, forecast beat estimates across the board as China sales slow 'significantly'

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nvid...china-sales-slow-significantly-212639200.html

Nvidia’s Data Center business is booming, up over 400% since last year to $18.4 billion in fourth-quarter sales

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/21/nvi...18point4-billion-in-fourth-quarter-sales.html

Nvidia posts record revenue up 265% on booming AI business

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/21/nvidia-nvda-earnings-report-q4-2024.html

Nvidia reported earnings after the bell that beat Wall Street’s forecast for earnings and sales, and said that revenue during the current quarter would be better than expected, even against elevated expectations for massive growth.

Nvidia shares rose about 6% in extended trading.

Here’s what the company reported compared with what Wall Street was expecting, based on a survey of analysts by LSEG, formerly known as Refinitiv:

• Earnings: $5.15 per share, adjusted, versus $4.64 per share expected.
    • Revenue: $22.10 billion, versus $20.62 billion expected.
    Nvidia said it expected $24.0 billion in sales in the current quarter. Analysts polled by LSEG were looking for $5.00 per share on $22.17 billion in sales.

Nvidia reported $12.29 billion in net income during the quarter, or $4.93 per share, up 769% versus last year’s $1.41 billion or 57 cents per share.

Nvidia has been the primary beneficiary of the recent technology industry obsession with large artificial intelligence models, which are developed on the company’s pricey graphics processors for servers.

Nvidia’s total revenue rose 265% from a year ago, based on strong sales for AI chips for servers, particularly the company’s “Hopper” chips like the H100, it said.

Those sales are reported in the company’s Data Center business, which now comprises the majority of Nvidia’s revenue. Data center sales were up 409% to $18.40 billion.

Nvidia said its data center revenue was hurt by recent U.S. restrictions on exporting advanced AI semiconductors to China.

The company’s gaming business, which includes graphics cards for laptops and PCs, was merely up 56% year-over-year to $2.87 billion. Graphics cards for gaming used to be Nvidia’s primary business before its AI chips started taking off, and some of Nvidia’s graphics cards can be used for AI.

Nvidia’s smaller businesses did not show the same meteoric growth. Its automotive business declined 4% to $281 million in sales, and its OEM and other business, which includes crypto chips, rose 7% to $90 million. Nvidia’s business making graphics hardware for professional applications rose 105% to $463 million.

MY COMMENT

A clear BEAT of the expectations in just about EVERYTHING.

8. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

HELLO.....WTF? COSTCO and NVIDIA......where are my stock splits? I want my stocks splits......(stomping feet and whining while throwing a lamp at the wall)

roadtonowhere08 likes this.
  9. roadtonowhere08

roadtonowhere08 Well-Known Member

NVDA's still got it... to the surprise of no one. They have a huge lead in a lot of key growth areas. If they can keep the lead, the party will continue. Their ecosystem is like Apple's now. That will be a very tough nut to crack.

10. roadtonowhere08

But, but... sell the news?

11. roadtonowhere08

There are traders, and there are investors. This thread is the Bible for investors.

Smokie and zukodany like this.
  12. TireSmoke

TireSmoke Well-Known Member

So yesterday before the bell I got scared from all the media coverage and sold everything...

Just kidding. School of W here, hold hold hold. On a more serious note, is anyone else concerned about W throwing lamps in the house!!!! I am just picturing walls covered in priceless artwork and W rampaging and lamps flying!

Smokie and WXYZ like this.
  13. zukodany

Well this is a first… I’m up 3.96% at the open. And that’s not even it…. My second largest hold - tsla - is RED….. crazy open folks

WXYZ likes this.
  14. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Are we having fun yet? Now that the MASS PSYCHOSIS of the past few days is over.

I hate to say it.....but....the idiocy in the markets and the financial media is far worse than I have ever seen in my lifetime. The danger is that this sort of behavior will disconnect the markets from all REASON. When or if that happens.....it will be the end of stock investing and the core basis of free market capitalism. Of course.....it is a reflection of......the mental state of "people"....."human and human behavior"......and a total failure of the educational system......at the moment.

I cant say that people are becoming smarter.

zukodany likes this.
  15. zukodany

4.95% now

W…

T……

F………

WXYZ likes this.
  16. zukodany

That’s absolutely correct W….. This kind of volatility NEVER ends well… In the short term scheme of things. The last time I remember the market being so wild was around the covid dip era starting with it being well in the red and then continuing that summer of ‘20 each day was a massive massive Green Day. Absolutely not a normal trading behavior

17. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Somehow....I dont think anyone is paying any attention to this today.

US jobless claims fall to lowest level in 5 weeks

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/applications-us-jobless-benefits-fall-134335416.html

"Applications for unemployment benefits fell by 12,000 to 201,000 for the week ending Feb. 17, the Labor Department reported Thursday.

The four-week average of claims, a less volatile measure, fell by 3,500 to 215,250, down from 218,750 the previous week."

MY COMMENT

BUMMER for the rate cut fear mongers.....they will have to just hold onto this data and hype it next week.

18. TireSmoke

TireSmoke Well-Known Member

I'm up over 11% on the day so far and over 33% on the year. I like the direction this is going. If this holds on this will be my biggest daily gain in my 15 years of investing. I will I have become pretty numb to both gains and losses in the account which I feel is a good thing because I must be operating at an appropriate risk level for my mental health. To me it's a number in an account going up and down. Now if a new sports car showed up in the driveway every day like today then it would probably be a little different!

Smokie and WXYZ like this.
  19. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

The....obvious....market today. BUT we are far from the close.

Nasdaq jumps as Nvidia ignites global rally

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/stoc...as-nvidia-ignites-global-rally-143053268.html

"US stocks soared on Thursday as blockbuster earnings from AI darling Nvidia (NVDA) ignited a global rally in tech stocks, eclipsing concerns about the Federal Reserve's caution over interest-rate cuts.

The tech-heavy Nasdaq (^IXIC) shot up about 2% on the heels of the chipmaker's results, while the S&P 500 (^GSPC) jumped about 1.3%. Gains for the Dow Jones Industrial Average (^DJI) lagged, with a rise of 0.6%.

Stocks powered higher as Wall Street celebrated Nvidia's blowout quarterly results, which beat sky-high expectations. That reassured investors about the strength of the AI mania that has lifted US stock gauges to record highs.

The chipmaker's CEO said generative AI has "hit the tipping point" as it reported a 265% rise in revenue and laid out very upbeat guidance, a sign demand for AI hardware is booming. Nvidia shares climbed about 12% after closing lower on Wednesday.

The bullish mood spread worldwide, with chip stock gains helping Japan's Nikkei 225 (^N225) index to finally beat a record that's stood since 1989. Similarly, techs boosted the pan-European Stoxx 600 (^STOXX) to a fresh all-time intraday high.

Amid the ebullience. assessment of the Fed's next move appeared to be on the back burner. The central bank's latest minutes showed most officials want to tread carefully on rate cuts, seeing risks in moving too quickly.

Reports on weekly jobless claims and existing home sales due later could revive the debate over timing of cuts, given how closely investors have been tracking economic inputs for the Fed."

MY COMMENT

All I can do is sit and watch the INSANITY and say......DUH.

And.....I am not calling the markets insane....it is people that are losing all connection to reality as they sit on TikTok all day and watch "influences".

20. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Your whole portfolio is up 11% today? Damn are you like 80% NVDA or something?

WXYZ likes this.