The Long Term Investor

Discussion in 'Investing' started by WXYZ, Oct 2, 2018.

1. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Hey Zukodany.

Regarding my little adventure with PLTR.......because you piqued my interest. I bought my shares on 2-6-24. As reflected in this thread I than sold to cover my margin and original cost of ALL shares and was left with 104 FREE SHARES.

So how have I done on those 104 shares.......since they were bought on 2-6-24....I am up by 15.34%.

zukodany likes this.
  2. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

I dont own TSLA....but....for those that do.

Tesla stands to earn billions of dollars a year by opening U.S. charging stations to drivers of Ford and other EVs

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/29/tes...m-charging-partnerships-with-ford-others.html

"Key Points
    • Tesla on Thursday opened up its Superchargers to drivers of Ford Mustang Mach-E and F-150 Lightning electric vehicles.
    • Tesla struck similar partnerships with General Motors and other automakers in North America.
    • AutoForecast Solutions says Tesla could generate $6 billion to $12 billion in annual charging revenue by 2030 by opening its charging stations to drivers of non-Tesla EVs."

Lori Myers, zukodany and T0rm3nted like this.
  3. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

WELL....good news for me.....my new sculpture will be here on Monday. BUT.....when I looked at the shipping invoice it is listed as 24 out of 25. The edition was supposed to be 50. So it appears that they are cutting the edition off at 25 due to the recent death of the artist. I guess in the end....that is to my benefit....that the sculpture will be more limited.

On the topic of art.......if you are considering starting out as any sort of collector.....I have noticed a big issue lately. The problem....with prices and values UP in many areas of collecting....so is the number of FAKES and FRAUD.

In the area of art that I collect....I have seen a number of FAKES for sale recently in smaller regional auctions. I saw a painting recently in an auction in Florida that was a very good fake. It was very well done. I knew it was fake after considering.....the very low estimate.....$800 versus what it should have been $30,000......the auction house in Florida.....many fakes are sold in Florida......and a detailed close up review of the painting. I was able to download photos of the painting and review the details of the painting at high magnification and compare it to known painting from the artist. I also researched the particular painting and saw that it had a history of being offered at auction and NOT selling. In the end it was my high magnification review that told me it was FAKE.

If I had not been an experienced collector the painting was good enough that I would have probably bought it.

SO.....if you are a new collector in any area.....art or otherwise.....make sure you only buy from recognized dealers or recognized auctions. Better yet.....anything you are going to spend real money on....talk to some established collectors and get their advice or help.

Inside the Biggest Art Fraud in History

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/inside-biggest-art-fraud-history-180983692/

zukodany likes this.
  4. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

A good mixed open today.....the DOW down and the others....SP500 and NADAQ UP.

BUT.....that is only two minutes into the day.

5. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

I posted on this yesterday.....that APPLE had finally begun to talk about AI and not just sit there MUTE and as a result harm their shareholders.

Apple stops 'thinking different' and joins the AI herd: Morning Brief

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/appl...oins-the-ai-herd-morning-brief-110027565.html

BUT....poor APPLE is still the disrespected poor sister....of the big cap tech world right now. I have no doubt this will pass. It is simply the media line of the moment. It is also taken advantage of by short term speculators to trade. It is just a situation of siting and waiting out the short term......although ....the stock is in the RED for.....1day, 5 days, 1 month, 6 months and YTD.

I have ZERO plans to sell any of my APPLE stock.

zukodany likes this.
  6. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

I will am soon going to end my posting for today. I have important....critical business to attend to.....I will be leaving in about an hour to go see the new "DUNE" release.

zukodany likes this.
  7. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

The market so far today.

Stocks are little changed after Nasdaq gets first record close in more than two years

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/29/stock-market-today-live-updates.html

(BOLD is my opinion OR what I consider important content)

"Stocks were flat Friday after the market wrapped up its fourth straight winning month and the tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite reached its first closing record since November 2021.

The Nasdaq was up 0.2%, while the S&P 500 gained just 0.1%. The Dow Jones Industrial Average
    slipped 35 points, or about 0.1%.

Troubled regional bank New York Community Bancorp declined 28% after the lender announced a leadership change and disclosed issues with its internal controls. The bank is already down more than 67% in 2024.

On a weekly basis, the S&P 500 is tracking for a roughly 0.2% advance, while the Nasdaq is up 0.6%. The 30-stock Dow is the laggard, down nearly 0.4%.

Major averages ended another positive month as the rally driven by an artificial intelligence boom and hopes for rate cuts chugged along. The Nasdaq was the best performer in February with a 6.1% gain. The S&P 500 climbed 5.2%, while the Dow added 2.2% for its first four-month winning streak since May 2021.

“We’re still firmly in the disinflationary camp and think the Fed will be forced to cut rates by June,” Adam Crisafulli, founder of Vital Knowledge, said in a note.

Data released Thursday showed the personal consumption expenditures price index excluding food and energy, the Federal Reserve’s preferred gauge, rose 0.4% in January, in line with expectations."

MY COMMENT

NOTHING going on today in the financial media. The media is totally MUTE today. They exhausted their issue of the week with the release of the PCE yesterday. No doubt they will come up with a list of topics to fear monger next week over the weekend.

I guess we will just have to muddle along today without the support and help of the daily opinion purveyors. BUMMER.

8. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Lots of time left in the day for reality to take hold....but right now I only have a single stock in the green. Fortunately for me it is NVDA....which represents a large double position in my portfolio.

9. andyvds

andyvds Active Member

AMD at $180 - pretty insane market!

10. zukodany

zukodany Well-Known Member

W looks like EVERYTHING AI is up today, poor PLTR can’t keep up with the excitement.
    NVDA up currently 3.5% Broadcom up 5.35% sheeeesh looks like we’re closing the weekend BIGLY.
    Much like yourself I have pressing business to take care of - booking my flight and stay in Miami for Music Week this month. Stay tuned!

WXYZ likes this.
  11. zukodany

Up %1.36
    New ATH
    The bulls are RAGING!
    Who thought we’d do so well without Jordan? (Ba-Doom-Tshhh)

WXYZ likes this.
  12. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

I had a BIG FAT gain today in my stocks. NVDA was up by 4%. Even AAPL, PLTR and GOOGL being down today could not stop my big day. I also beat the SP500 by 0.94% today.

13. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Another BIG week for most of the averages.

DOW year to date +3.64%
    DOW five days (-0.15%)

SP500 year to date +8.31%
    SP500 five days +0.87%

NASDAQ 100 year to date +10.69%
    NASDAQ 100 five days +1.82%

NASDAQ year to date +10.22%
    NASDAQ five days +1.63%

RUSSELL year to date +3.16%
    RUSSELL five days +3.15%

Another nice week for me. My total account ended the week at year to date....+20.08%. Last week this figure was at.....18.52%. A NICE GAIN for my total account this week.

Here we are two months into the year and many of us are showing year to date gains that would be considered good for an entire year. Obviously this can not last all year....there will be a correction or two and some dead times....but at least we have a nice cushion if needed.

Smokie likes this.
  14. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYONE....WE EARNED IT.

15. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

I thought the DUNE 2 movie was pretty good. I would give it a strong 8.5 rating. A great job of showing the culture of the Fremen in the film. About 3 hours long with previews.....but well worth it and well done. No doubt the ending leaves things open for a third film. Definitely worth seeing on a big screen and especially nice with a big movie theater sound system.

zukodany likes this.
  16. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Ok......how did I do in February? Well looking back to my post of February 2, 2024.......at that time I closed out the week with a year to date gain in my entire portfolio at....+11.21%.

"What an amazing start to the year for the averages and for me personally. Last week I was at +8.06% year to date for my entire portfolio. This week.....a BIG GAIN.....I am now up to +11.21% for my entire portfolio, year to date. I dont know how long this SMOKING MARKET can keep up....but I am along for the long term ride.

post #18663"

NOW.....at the end of February......I am at +20.08% year to date for my entire account. I am also at a new ALL TIME HIGH. A great start to the year.......two months down ten to go. We continue to move past the physical and psychological TRAUMA of year 2022.

AND.....yes.....I continue to be fully invested for the long term as usual.

#19076 WXYZ, Mar 2, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
  17. zukodany

I’m right there behind ya W with 18.97% (technically 19) gains ytd. The biggest laggers for me are (no surprise) TSLA & APPL. But no, I’m not complaining and if I was to have grandes cahones I would literally go and sell all my portfolio and leave it all with these two companies right now as I’m POSITIVE that within the next 12 months they will go up by at least another 20% and I’m happy with another 20% to close the year off!
    It’s just a matter of time before apple, the cash cow set at nearly 3 trillion dollars and TSLA owned by the richest man in the world will get into FULL PANIC mode and decide they need to start selling AI sizzles much like everyone else. Looks like AI caught them by surprise while they were both engaged with Twitter/X and Apple vision issues, both of which didn’t seem to contribute to their wealth.
    My gut tells me that AI will create some sort of a DISTURBANCE during the election period. In fact I’m gonna go ahead and predict that it will…. If social media has caused interruption with the previous election/s you can bank on the fact that its ugly sibling AI will do far more damage. At what cost to investors? I have no clue. But shit, I hope it’s not gonna be grand.
    Exciting times to be an investor that’s for sure.

Smokie and WXYZ like this.
  18. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

No doubt TireSmoke is.......SMOKING....both of us Zukodany. With his extreme three stock portfolio focused on NVIDIA.

I agree the negative potential of AI to screw with society, culture, history, elections, etc, etc, etc....is going to be a nightmare.

As to Elon Musk....he is in the ......media/government/progressive.....doghouse now for being conservative in his views. They are out to screw him every way they can. Unfortunately for them without him we have ZERO space program.....ZERO Starlink, which the Defense department depends on....not much in the way of EV vehicles....etc, etc, etc.

I can see what he is doing. At some point he is going to join all his companies together. Once people see the unified whole of where he is heading and what he has created they will be shocked and amazed. What he is creating with all of his various businesses including.....AI.....is very much a long term vision and plan. Hopefully he achieves his goals and pulls it off.

zukodany likes this.
  19. zukodany

Yeah for sure W… That’s the way that I see Elon as well, he’s been at this game for SUCH a loooong period time and has excelled in being innovative in so many sectors.
    And he’s holding the loudest megaphone known to the public at that. Investing in tsla is investing in Elon, so I’ll grab an opportunity anytime I see it when his stock is underperforming. In fact, I talked myself into buying some more tsla shares just now, so I’ll probably do that first thing Monday morning.
    As to Apple, pretty much the same for a whole different set of reasons, this company is a CASH COW with almost 200 billion in cash… It’s just a matter of time before they put a good portion of that towards integrating AI into any or all their products. When you think about it, siri has been one of the first AI products out there, although it hasn’t been generative yet.
    But I’m overstretched with both positions so I’ll likely invest lightly

WXYZ likes this.
  20. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Being light handed is a good thing. There is no guarantee of anything with any company no matter how good they look.

I do agree on Elon and on Apple....although I do not see this as a time to be putting money into TSLA. The EV business is very tentative right now....the government has screwed it up by pushing it onto a public that is not ready and does not want it....other than about 3-5% of the population. They have disrupted and screwed up the EV market by not allowing it to develop on its own.

I am sure APPLE is embedding AI into everything....but....for some reason....they seem to have a significant messaging problem when it comes to AI. And.....for some reason they are also in the media doghouse at the moment...although...I can not see any reason why. However they have significantly performed in the RED for the past 6 months or less regarding their stock. You have to go out a year to get them into the green in terms of stock return.

I attribute it to them being tied to China more than any other big cap tech company. But...who knows. Their management is being very opaque right now.

#19080 WXYZ, Mar 2, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
    zukodany likes this.