The Long Term Investor

Discussion in 'Investing' started by WXYZ, Oct 2, 2018.

1. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Hey......Lori in England. How are you doing? Are you making some money this year?

If you have a chance and are inclined.....what are you invested in over there. Stocks? Funds?

You and RG are our two EU investing experts. You guys need to keep us up to date on what is going on in the investing world in the EU. Obviously most of us are oblivious to events outside the USA....other than what little bit we might see in the media. You two are the....boots on the ground.....for us in the EU.

Lori Myers likes this.
  2. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

3. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

I notice that....today....all the stories that I saw all weekend and yesterday about the great....MARKET UNWINDING....have totally disappeared. BUT....dont worry....they will drag them back out the first time we have a down day or a down week

4. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

AND....good news for TSLA shareholders.

Power restored at Tesla Gigafactory after far-left activist sabotage
    Tesla CEO Elon Musk called the sabotage 'extremely dumb'

https://www.foxbusiness.com/fox-new...-tesla-gigafactory-far-left-activist-sabotage

MY COMMENT

EVERYONE is out to get ELON now. I saw a story yesterday critical of the MUSK Foundation for not giving enough money away. it was a pure HIT PIECE. He is no longer the media darling now that he has made some of his personal views known.

5. zukodany

zukodany Well-Known Member

Personally I simply don’t understand how the hot CPI read affected the market so POSITIVELY, but this is not the first time this has happened. I recall multiple times when this happened and it took 24 hours for the news to settle. That’s why I simply don’t pay attention to any of the nonsense that the analysts portray in the media. Nobody knows shit but they all know how to stir the pot quite well.
    Doing my taxes now and by god it never ceases to amaze me how great it feels to get to the point where I report my investments. Each year I have only LOSSES since I always sell my losing positions, all along while my winners grow each years and far far outweigh my losses. Of course, they can only allow up to $3,000 in losses per year with the remaining balance of losses getting carried over to the following years, but it’s just funny how that all works out. That is also the reason why I would probably never liquidate my assets, capital gain taxes this year will eat 32% of my gains and that’s simply not worth it.

Smokie and WXYZ like this.
  6. zukodany

And NVDA is up almost 5% currently. Wow! I thought that the media decided it was dead only 24 hours ago??? How could they be WRONG???

WXYZ likes this.
  7. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

They are ALWAYS wrong....whoever "they" are.

A BIG RALLY DAY for what I own. NVDA +5.4%......COST +2.47%....AMZN +2.74%.....MSFT +2.18%....SUPER MICRO +6.12%.

YES.....poor AAPL still in the red but trying to come into the green.

Smokie likes this.
  8. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

If the stock markets were a horror movie the title would be......."THEY".

zukodany likes this.
  9. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

I am so sorry Zukodany.......you are just going to have to, once again ENDURE being a...... "winner".....in the markets. The horror of the modern era......continues.

zukodany likes this.
  10. zukodany

That’s hysterical W… I usually listen to squawk in the morning and then Josh Browns commentaries are always funny. “they” are almost always wrong, sometimes I think, gee why do I even pay attention. Well it’s all entertainment really to me.
    Joe Kernan is equally amusing

11. roadtonowhere08

roadtonowhere08 Well-Known Member

Another bounce back day for NVDA. I cannot help but think the powers that be are trying to shake off the skittish for a quick buck.

12. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

I....LOVE...CPI day. A BIG FAT gain for me today in my stocks. I had a single stock in the RED today.....PLTR. I also BEAT the SP500 today by......2.89%.

13. Smokie

Smokie Well-Known Member

What a start and good momentum carrying on so far this year. So much noise has been made from when we began to march out of the valley from many, many months ago.

Remember back then? It could not be done. It simply would not happen. But….it did.

We have had just about everything thrown at us over the past couple years, but have been rewarded nicely for having the patience and confidence to stay with it.

This has always held true for the whole time I have invested. Sometimes the wait is longer than we want, it can test our will, but it has always been worth it in the end.

zukodany and WXYZ like this.
  14. Strathmore

Strathmore Member

I'm in Scotland, doing pretty good this year, currently at 18.97% YTD. I'm happy with that but still not happy with my investing style. Too often I'm taking money of the table, and with that I miss some of the big gains in the market.
    I'm a small investor(if I can call myself an investor) with only $20k invested.
    Currently I own: NVDA, COST and AAPL. I'm only investing in US stocks, but wish if someone here would advise us about European markets as well.
    I wish I could post here more often, but with two small kids, young wife and a full time job, I just don't find time. But I'm here everyday, this is my "go to" website for checking the market.
    Thanks W for all your commitment.

rg7803, WXYZ and Lori Myers like this.
  15. Lori Myers

Lori Myers Member

Hey W, all good over here in England - thanks for asking! It's been a long wet winter so we are all happy Spring is in sight. Honestly, it started raining in October last year and it feels like it hasn't stopped. I am craving some sunshine.

I am mostly invested in the S&P 500 and Nasdaq 100. That accounts for just over 65% of my portfolio. I also have some individual stocks in NVDA, AMZN, AAPL and TSLA - so yes I have made some money this year. I'm only a small investor, like Strathmore above, but you have to start somewhere, right. I did own Nike but sold that at the end of last year. I put it all in NVDA so I'm very happy with that decision. I almost did the same with Tesla but decided against it. I think I am going to stick with Tesla and hope Elon delivers. I am a big fan of Elon. I see it as an investment in him.

You know I never really looked at stocks in the EU. When I first started researching the markets it quickly became clear that the USA is where it's at. So, here I am :biggrin:

16. TireSmoke

TireSmoke Well-Known Member

I identify as a long term investor but yesterday, I have to admit, did some trades. Very minor changes. Very small trim of AMD stock and directly put the money into NVDA and also joined the latest trend with a small buy in of SMCI. Now I can be like the cool kids! All joking aside the case for that stock is pretty compelling. I feel stocks get forgotten on my watch list so back when I started trading if I saw something I liked I would get a few shares to keep it on the radar, kind of a taste before the big bite. Right, wrong or indifferent this is what works for me. So a little 15 share buy in to see how the waters feel. Owning AMD for a decade has numbed me pretty good to tech stock price volatility so I guess it just comes down to timing and luck.

WXYZ likes this.
  17. zukodany

And of course…. Today all of those stocks that were up yesterday….. are down! And OF COURSE the king of the castle is red as well - NVDA. Well at least at the open.
    This is how we’re going to be for awhile now until some sort of a MAJOR event will decide to take us up or down for an extended period of time.
    Totally unrelated - was watching the Tucker/Chris Coumo interview last night. A very interesting watch for those who know the background between these two formidable enemies. Seeing them getting along, laugh and enjoy a deep conversation certainly made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

WXYZ likes this.
  18. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

I got this from SCHWAB yesterday.....a change in the trade settlement time period.

"Trades executed on or after May 28, 2024 will settle on the next business day (T+1) for most U.S. and Canadian securities traded on U.S. exchanges. Currently, the settlement period is two business days after the trade date (T+2).

New shortened settlement period reduces risk.

This is an industry-wide change for most security transactions, which includes stocks, bonds, municipal securities, exchange-traded products, unit investment trusts, certain mutual funds and limited partnerships that trade on an exchange. The T+1 settlement period may benefit investors like you by reducing credit and liquidity risks present between the trade date and the settlement date."

MY COMMENT

I like it.

19. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

WELCOME.....Strathmore. WOW...we now have two posters in the UK.....very cool.

YES....Strathmore......learning to simply sit and do nothing and be fully invested for the long term is a critical piece of capturing all the gains. And...I believe....simply being fully invested all the time...in RATIONAL investments....significantly lessens the market risk. Of course....you have to learn to simply IGNORE the day to day and short to medium term insanity......avoid market timing.....and avoid jumping in and out of the markets. This is primarily a function of....NOT....having short term money invested in the markets.....and.....appropriate risk tolerance.

Well done LORI......a nice little portfolio mix.

#19239 WXYZ, Mar 13, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
  20. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

TireSmoke.....I like to do the same thing. If I own something I will pay a lot more attention to it. That is what I am doing with both PLTR ($113 shares) and SMCI ($50,000 investment). I should know in a year or two how I like them both.