The Long Term Investor

Discussion in 'Investing' started by WXYZ, Oct 2, 2018.

1. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

It may be FED week but it is also this week.

Nvidia GTC 2024: What to expect from the AI giant’s big conference

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nvid...m-the-ai-giants-big-conference-152251933.html

(BOLD is my opinion OR what I consider important content)

"To say Nvidia (NVDA) is on a hot streak would be an understatement. Shares of the AI darling are up a staggering 267% over the last 12 months and 79% year to date. Tech companies across the world covet its graphics cards like rare jewels and CEO Jensen Huang is as in-demand as some heads of state.

And on Monday, March 18, he’ll kick off Nvidia’s annual GTC conference with a two-hour keynote at the SAP Center in San Jose, Calif., outlining what’s ahead for the company in the year ahead. In prior years, Nvidia has used the show to debut some of its biggest products.

In 2022, it announced its Hopper graphics architecture and H100 graphics processing unit, which is now the go-to card for companies training and deploying AI models. This year, Nvidia is widely expected to debut Hopper and the H100’s successors, kicking off what could be a new rush on the company’s products.

The new architecture, codenamed Blackwell, and GPU, dubbed the B100, are anticipated to offer far better performance when it comes to running models like OpenAI’s GPT-3. Nvidia isn’t exactly hiding its plans for the B100. During the Supercomputer 2023 conference, the company showed off a slide outlining the GPU’s potential capabilities compared to the H100 and H200 cards.

In addition to the Blackwell architecture and B100 card, Nvidia will also likely give attendees and viewers a look at the latest advancements in its CUDA software.

The platform, which lets programmers take advantage of a GPU’s processing capabilities for AI and other applications, is an essential part of Nvidia’s overall enterprise strategy and helps lock in developers who build on Nvidia’s software, virtually ensuring they’ll stick with Nvidia’s products in the future.

Nvidia could also announce that it will begin producing its H20 AI chip for the Chinese market. The chip, according to Reuters, is meant to serve as an alternative to Nvidia’s more powerful H100 and H200 chips. The US prohibits Nvidia from selling those chips to Chinese customers for fear that the Chinese military and government will use them to develop advanced AI applications to rival the US's.

Those are the big stories we’ll be watching from GTC, but we’ll also likely get plenty of other announcements and debuts from Nvidia and its partners.

Some 300 exhibitors are set to take part in the conference and speakers ranging from OpenAI’s COO Brad Lightcap and Meta’s vice president of AI research Joelle Pineau to Microsoft’s vice president of generative AI Sébastien Bubeck set to make appearances at the show.

Yahoo Finance will be on the ground, bringing you all of the biggest news from the conference and chatting with some of Nvidia’s top executives. Stay tuned."

MY COMMENT

This should be a much more significant event for AI in general and NVDA in particular than the boring old FED meeting.

2. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

The real story of the.....how and why...of the markets on Friday.....was the BIG JUMP in the Ten Year yield. It is now 4.308%.

NOT a significant event....simply short term trading pressures.

3. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

A FEEL GOOD story.....but....not so much for all the corporate workers that have been LET GO. I presume MOST of this increase in productivity reflects the continuous cuts in head count by major corporations over the past 15 years. BUT.....if this is good for the BULL MARKET.....so be it.

A 15-year problem that has plagued corporate America is finally turning around

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/a-15...rica-is-finally-turning-around-141822989.html

(BOLD is my opinion OR what I consider important content)

"American workers are becoming more productive.

Recent analysis from Bank of America showed the average revenue per worker for companies in the S&P 500 hit an all-time high in Februaryafter 15 years of no gains. This is one of several signs that labor productivity is rebounding after slumping during 2022.

Some on Wall Street think the developments in labor productivity could help the stock market survive stickier-than-expected inflation that has emerged as a concern in recent weeks.

"If productivity goes higher, then [companies] are able to cut costs, improve margins, things like that," Bank of America US and Canada equity strategist Ohsung Kwon told Yahoo Finance. "That's why companies are so focused on improving productivity. There's a lot of macro headwinds happening. So they are trying to find ways to improve productivity and sort of offset those headwinds."

The headwinds Kwon references include the risk the Federal Reserve holds off on cutting interest rates as inflation's path downward continues to prove bumpier than initially hoped. Two separate reports released this week showed inflation was hotter than economists expected in February. And annual wage growth during the month was higher than what economists have said the Fed wants to see to feel confident inflation is moving down to its 2% target.

The research team at Carson Group argues an increase in productivity could offset these concerns, though.

"With productivity soaring like it is and will hopefully continue like it can, you don't have to worry about inflation coming back, you really don't," Carson Group chief market strategist Ryan Detrick told Yahoo Finance.

Detrick's colleague Sonu Varghese explained that persistent wage growth can usually cause an inflation problem if consumers have more money to spend on goods. Demand for goods would rise as workers make more money, therefore pushing prices higher. This paradigm shifts, though, if productivity picks up. In that instance, the economy could sustain higher wages because companies would also be producing more goods. If both the demand and supply of goods pick up, then prices can remain stable.

Varghese highlighted two different instances where wage growth surged. In the 1970s, wage growth picked up but productivity didn't, leading to a decade-long battle with persistent inflation. In the 1990s, wage growth gains were met with a productivity boom and subsequently led to a prosperous stretch for both US economic growth and stock market gains.

As productivity picks up, it increases the overall trajectory of the US economic growth, Renaissance Macro head of economic research Neil Dutta told Yahoo Finance.

That's welcome news for stocks.

Companies can choose to use their increased financial gains from productivity in a variety of ways. One would be to keep boosting wages to lure in more workers. But recent shifts in the labor market show that likely won't be the case.

The labor market has shown some signs of softening and the large pay bumps needed to lure workers in the post-lockdown job market have eased. The quits rate, a sign of confidence among workers, hit its lowest level since August 2020 in January

This would indicate that companies would take their additional revenues from increased productivity and use them to boost margins. Higher margins are usually a tailwind for future company earnings, which would in theory lift equities.

All of this comes without a mention of artificial intelligence, which has been lauded as a potential productivity booster.

"AI is kind of like the cherry on the top," Kwon said. "AI obviously is going to be a huge productivity enhancer. I don't know when that's going to happen. But we do think that is going to happen and be a huge boost to productivity as well."

MY COMMENT

My view......ALL or mostly ALL....of this data is the result of corporations cutting employees. Cut employees and productivity goes up.

Latest Mass Layoffs: Detailed List & Reporting of Notable Company Cutbacks

https://mondo.com/insights/mass-layoffs-in-2022-whats-next-for-employees/

16 Biggest Company Layoffs of all Time

https://www.getvetter.com/posts/189-16-biggest-company-layoffs-of-all-time

Layoffs rise to the highest for any February since 2009, Challenger says

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/07/lay...-any-february-since-2009-challenger-says.html

Layoffs Hit 10-Month High As Financial And Tech Companies Slash 39,000 Jobs

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maryro...h-companies-slash-39000-jobs/?sh=6c45ae473ea8

Etc, etc, etc. AND....in the meantime.....employment by all levels of GOVERNMENT has skyrocketed. Productivity.....forget it....when it comes to government.

4. roadtonowhere08

roadtonowhere08 Well-Known Member

Boy am I glad that I dumped most of my TSLA right into NVDA when I did. 100% skill right there :lauging:

Seriously though, I think the hype train peaked with TSLA pretty much when Tom sold his and I was after him. I pretty much figured the crazy growth ended with TSLA and NVDA had a lot more room, so I switched when TSLA was looking pretty range bound. Could have ended badly, but I had a good feeling, especially since computer tech is more my thing than cars. That and the profit margin on AI GPUs is through the roof compared to cars :D

TSLA might be the last man standing with EVs, but cars, even electric ones, pale in comparison to the AI boom right now. Love it or hate it, AI is an absolute seismic moment. Literally up there with the creation of the internet.

#19304 roadtonowhere08, Mar 17, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
    Smokie, Lori Myers and zukodany like this.
  5. zukodany

zukodany Well-Known Member

Morning guys. sold 60% of NVDA moments after the open (at $912).
    Sold all my LLY ($760)
    The remainder of my NVDA will stay there FOREVER, correction or not.
    I hate myself so much right now

Smokie likes this.
  6. zukodany

To elaborate. The NVDA position which I sold this morning earned an accumulative gain of 82% it is the combination of purchases which I made in the past year.
    The remainder chunk which is left untouched is at an average gain of 425% so far and dates back to purchases I made of the stock all the way to 2021 but mainly in 2022 when it was significantly down
    LLY earned me 46% gains and I love the company but again, I sense that it is a tad stretched at the moment

Smokie likes this.
  7. zukodany

I would never be able to understand the behavior of the stock market. NVDA had a SLAMMING presentation yesterday introducing their B200 Blackwell processor and platform, among other exciting features, such as adaptive robotics and enhanced product support for Tesla adobe meta and apple….. And today the stock is down at the open by as much as 3%
    I honestly don’t believe for ONE SECOND that the stock is done, it’s probably taking a spring break, but heck this is just insane. The news that NVDA unleashed yesterday is akin to Apple introducing the first iPhone and yet… crickets

roadtonowhere08 and Smokie like this.
  8. zukodany

Aaand… I’m leaving tomorrow to Miami for a week, so Smokie, Road, Tommy, you better take over the wheel for W! SHOW ME THE MONEY!

roadtonowhere08 likes this.
  9. Smokie

Smokie Well-Known Member

Sure...leave us with shitty FED week. Seems like this has happened before. :suspicious: LOL.

Have a great trip.

zukodany likes this.
  10. roadtonowhere08

100% agree. They are pedal to the metal as a company at this point. It'll pick up again.

zukodany likes this.
  11. zukodany

Haha Smokie I do make some fine exists don’t I?

hold the line for us tomorrow. Fight fight fight!

12. zukodany

Side note. I think Apple is a terrific buy right now for an easy 10% uptick in the coming weeks, I am going to give it some thought and may just add more to my positions from the balance I have left over from my sold positions yesterday. We’ll see

13. zukodany

14. roadtonowhere08

Miami for a week? Pure debauchery!!!

Blackwell will take good care of us. Embrace our AI overlord :worship:

15. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Keep up the good work guys. I am in the money so far this week. Lets close it out in style over the next few days.

I am even ok with the dip in my Super Micro. I have no problem with the sale of additional shares if they use the money to actually operate and boost the prospects of the company.

But….I am content to sit on my current share balance and not add more any time soon. It is a semi-speculative long term hold.

Hopefully I will have a chance to post a bit on Sunday.

16. Smokie

Smokie Well-Known Member

Well, pretty nice gains for it being a FED day and the media.

I really have no idea what was said, implied, or guessed about....I ignored it all. Just checked in to see how the day ended and it appears we did some nice work for W and zukodany. You are welcome fellas.:)

TomB16 likes this.
  17. Strathmore

Strathmore Member

I think I'll go with this one. After watching a "Pawn shop" episode on TV where one lady brought two suitcases full of LV purses, and she wanted to sell them because she was broke and she spent £40000 on these luxury items, I think this stock has a lot of room to grow.
    RG feel free to post your US stock portfolio as well.
    Thanks

18. Smokie

Smokie Well-Known Member

Add another green day to our pockets. We will gladly take the gains.

AAPL continues to have a hard time making any progress to the plus side this year…seems like when they get done with one legal hurdle another appears.

19. gtrudeau88

gtrudeau88 Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    Been ignoring my stocks which except for ZTS, which I'm down a lot more than my 7% loss threshold, doing ok. Pulled some $ out of my account for some remodeling work but if I consider that as cash for the sake of figuring out my performance, I'm up 16.80% and at an all time high. S&P 500 is at 10.26%.

Wish I hadn't sold NVDA when I did, at $715 a share I think.

G

TomB16 likes this.
  20. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Time for one quick post. Great job with the markets this week people. I see a nice probability of a green close today.

My main observation is NKE. WTF. They have run this poor company into the ground. Up by 1.6% over five years. I sold out some time ago but still have feelings for the company as a long time owner. What a failure of management. Way past time for Phil Knight to speak up.

Would I buy? Hell no. classic falling knife.