The Official August 21st Total Solar Eclipse Thread

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by bigbear83, Aug 7, 2017.

1. bigbear83

bigbear83 Active Member

ready or not folks, but exactly 2 weeks from today will be a very rare event here in the states!

we will be having a total solar eclipse starting at approx 2pm et. on monday, august 21st.

how rare of an event is this you may ask? well, evidently there hasn't been a total solar eclipse that swept through the middle of the country quite like this one in about 100 years! wow! :eek:

here is the map showing the areas that will see 100% totality

[​IMG]

i'm located in the queen city, so for us we will just get the "partial" eclipse ... about 90% of it ... not too bad. of course i could just drive a few miles south of here to see it all, but meh, the traffic will likely be absolutely horrific that day! so, i will pass and just settle on seeing it from my home. :p

i just really hope the weather will cooperate on that day!!

this is a once in a lifetime event for much of us folks living in this country, so if we're gonna have this happen all that i'll ever ask is to be sunny out that day! :p

i will try to post up pics in here, and maybe even a video clip providing i get a decent shot. if it's cloudy and rainy out as it's been here of late then of course fuhgettaboutit!

should be a really fun day nevertheless. :D

2. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Looks like I'll get roughly 0.9 magnitude as well up here in Northern Illinois

3. fireopal

fireopal Well-Known Member

i will be getting a partial (75.6%) BUT i can get the total if i go to one of the institutes where they will be filming it live from Missouri :D

Back to add some info for those that may not know but might be inclined to want to know Eclipses significance >> Solar and Lunar Eclipses in Astrology - http://astrostyle.com/learn-astrology/solar-and-lunar-eclipses/

following article contains information that provides a bit more insight for how this big one may serve to create changes not just for Trump but for all throughout the world and on various levels that will serve each individual 's needs for their own personal growth/development... The Solar Eclipse Could Mean Disaster for Trump, According to Astrologers - http://www.newsweek.com/total-solar-eclipse-trump-astrology-prediction-643776

#3 fireopal, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  4. bigbear83

bigbear83 Active Member

Whelp, ready or not folks tomorrow is indeed the big day! :D

I lucked out and managed to find 3 eclipse glasses just in the nick of time ... one for my nephew, my old man, and myself.

I'll be recording the entire duration of the eclipse from my home and will try to have it posted up on Youtube or something and perhaps embedded here into Stockaholics.

Oh, and boy did we ever get lucky with the weather around here. It's suppose to be sunny all day tomorrow. :D

Looking forward to it.

5. bigbear83

bigbear83 Active Member

For those of you in the Carolina's the peak of the eclipse is expected at approx. 2:41pm ET.

I'll have the camera rolling and will be taking my own home footage of the event today.

Will try to have the Youtube clip posted up in here sometime tonight or tomorrow.

6. DeCoty

DeCoty Member

Going to have the song "Total Eclipse of The Heart" stuck in my head all day. :mad:

7. fireopal

REMINDER >> keep your pets inside during the eclipse.

8. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

The eclipse was all hype here in Northern Illinois. Very cloudy and rainy during the "peak of the eclipse" at 1:16 PM today. We weren't in the path for a full eclipse though and I didn't want to drive 3 hours south to Southern Illinois where it was supposed to be the best of anywhere to see it. Lots of cool pictures and videos though from people who were in the full eclipse path.

9. bigbear83

bigbear83 Active Member

Whelp, unfortunately for me I couldn't really get to take many good shots of the eclipse yesterday. The video I took was pretty much a scrap as well so nothing to see there. :( But here are the 2 pictures that I did manage to take that turned out okay.

Here is the shot from when the eclipse was about 70% of the way to its peak-

[​IMG]

This shot came out a bit more clearer-

[​IMG]

I had protective lens on the camera so that's why you're seeing the black in the background (it's not that the sky turned dark or anything!). We never got to totality where I was at...only got to 98% coverage. That 2% made a huge difference between day and night.

Here is a shot that someone sent me from downtown Nashville, TN though-

You basically had a 360 degree sunrise/sunset all around which was really cool...unfortunately for this guy there was a lot of cloud cover during the eclipse. So, he couldn't get any shot of the sun. Still a pretty dramatic shot of day turning into night within minutes!! :eek:
    [​IMG]

fireopal and T0rm3nted like this.
  10. fireopal

^^ WOW we got nothing like that in my area - sky didn't get that dark even though we were supposedly @ around 80% in the path - beautiful!

bigbear83 likes this.
  11. sasory

sasory New Member

wow interesting