The Rise and Fall of Applebee's

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by Startup Sapience, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Startup Sapience

At the turn of 2015, Applebee's was having trouble attracting millennials, which had by then formed a larger part of the target market. 99 locations had to be closed in 2017 and an additional 106 closures took place in 2018. Millennials were attracted toward fast casual chains such as Chipotle instead of casual dining places. Moreover, meal delivery kits such as Blue Apron were gaining traction, as millennials gravitated to cooking healthy meals at home as well.

2. The Brontide

The Brontide Active Member

I have a couple of those millennials types in my family. I don't understand their thinking but that's another story for another time.

All three were like junk food junkies and like things like Olive Garden, etc. (Note the use of the word "like", like I am trying to relate.)

Now they are on their own.

One is now vegan and loves to cook fresh at home, the husband is a pseudo vegan. The third is half vegan, half burger and pizza. Depending on the day.

But none of them patronize places like Applebee's that always appear they are trying to emulate Cheers or Friends lifestyles.

So old school they are and any like them better change up their game or get out of town.

3. Startup Sapience

Thank you for the comment and insight. Much appreciated.

4. A55

A55 Well-Known Member

Where I live, very few chain restaurants open, or succeed in staying open. Local people want fresh food, from mom & pop eateries. Locals shun "corporate dining". This is a major metropolitan city with 1million people. There was never an Applebee's. Most of those mall food restaurants are in the suburbs, at the malls. I dine locally at restaurants where I know the staff and owners. I shop at neighborhood butcher shops, fish mongers, and produce stands.

5. Startup Sapience

Thank you for your comment. I can relate to that.