The Weekend Thread

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Stockaholic, Mar 23, 2018.

1. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Working and then rehearsal dinner for a buddies wedding today, wedding tomorrow, work monday night - but at least it's for extra pay since it's a holiday.

2. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

any of you with any cool weekend plans this w/e?

i am contemplating taking a small day trip down to asheville one of these weekends to take in the fall colors (leaves) should be amazing by this time of the year!

3. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

hmm, with the rainy weather clearing up this weekend might be a good time to head out to the blue ridge mountains for a day trip to check out the cool fall colors :D

WXYZ likes this.
  4. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

Hey Bigbear

Was sort of cruising around the forums to see what was here and saw this thread. Noticed you talking about Ashville. I used to spend time in Crossnore if you know where that is. My grandparents lived there, and we spent time there in the 1950's and 1960's. Back than it was a very TINY place and EXTREMELY isolated. A very poor area. I am sure it is still tiny, but more upscale now. i have not been back there for over 40 years. The Crossnore school was there and functioned as sort of an orphanage and boarding school for poor mountain kids. At that time the downtown was just a crossroads with a general store, a movie theatre, a charity store for the school and one or two other small businesses. The hospital was there, but in the early days had just a small handful of nurses and perhaps one or two Doctors providing regional medical care to a large geographic region of mountain people. As kids and teens we spent a lot of time fishing, hiking the hills, and going out to Dr Sloops dam outside of Crossnore.