Trading is fun , but what else are you guys/gals doing?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Steven_Burt, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Steven_Burt

Steven_Burt 2019 Stockaholics Contest Winner

I love trading, and I'll let you guys in on a secret to improving your trading... Do something else. Seriously the more I spend time on other things I like the more success I have with my trading. Here is a few other ways I waste my time lol...

I love to fish. In Yuma, AZ I can be fishing literally in a matter of minutes. Large mouth bass are my fish of choice but we have small mouth, catfish, croppie, sun fish, and the fish and game stock some lakes with trout during the winter months.

fish.png

I also find gardening very satisfying:

garden.png

My newest waste of time is trying to learn the programming language Python - Let's see if my old brain can learn new tricks. The point is to take a break from trading often. I didn't fully understand this really until recently.

What are you guys doing to de-lever???

2. emmett kelly

emmett kelly Well-Known Member

just finished writing a feature length script and am going to santa monica film festival tomorrow to see if i can make some contacts for a director and funding. i also like like working in the yard, especially after sitting in this cubicle 40 hours a week.

3. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

That is pretty cool Steve! Thank you for sharing that man. :cool:

So, I'm not sure if this counts, but aside from trading, observing, and chatting about the markets, I also enjoy watching and playing sports (most notably football). Also like biking on the nature trails around my home (that is when the weather is warm out of course!).

I also like hangin' with my nephew and niece. They are now at an age where you can have pretty good convos with them which is really awesome. :D

Interestingly, like you Steve, I am also getting into learning a programming language. JavaScript was my first choice and now I am thinking of getting into Python as well.

Not sure if you guys ever frequent the live chat here, but I've already written up a bunch of Discord bots that I have running from my local server at home that posts charts and other stock data into the live chat. The language of my bots are mostly written in JavaScript but now I am starting to work on one that uses Python.

It's pretty rewarding once I've come up with a finished code. At least with my JavaScript written bots.

Other than that, I used to enjoy working in the yard when I lived in NJ, but that kinda changed when I moved down here to NC for some strange reason. I still occasionally work in the yard, but not nearly as much as I used to. :p

Great stuff again @Steven_Burt and thank you for sharing and creating this thread!

4. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

I play video games online with friends. One of them is local, the other 5 live in the Kansas City area. It's how we talk/hang out for a couple nights a week.

When I don't have to work Saturday mornings, I'll also go play poker on Friday evenings, but with my schedule I only get to do this like 3-4 times a year. Once I get to day shift m-th or m-f, I'll be able to play poker most weeks so that'll be nice.

That's really my only two big hobbies right now.

5. Onepoint272

Onepoint272 2019 Stockaholics Contest Winner

I think I've tried to various degrees, everything mentioned here, except writing a full length script, but I do know someone else that attempts that....ambitious.

One of my present past times is cheese making. So far I've made mozzarella, a Norwegian baby swiss (Jarlsberg), and an Asiago. The latter two are still aging. The Jarlsberg needs to age for 6 months and should be ready in January. The Asiago is actually ready after a couple months, but I'm letting it go to 6 months.

Also I've made a few batches of Ricotta which is simply a secondary product made from the whey. Maybe I should explain: when you make cheese, the milk separates into curds and whey. The curds are pressed to make the cheese. The whey is usually discarded, fed to the pigs, or dehydrated and made into high-protein shakes for weight lifters...or...you can make ricotta out of it.

#5 Onepoint272, Dec 8, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  6. Three Eyes

Three Eyes 2018 Stockaholics Contest Winner

When I'm not travelling, I'm thinking about/planning the next trip(s)! :D During travel, I trade a lot less. When not travelling, I trade more. Actually, trading is more like my hobby!

And outside the above activities, I read a lot (strictly non-fiction history, science, and travelogues), and hiking (generally shoot for minimum 5 miles) when I can fit it in.

Great thread @Steven_Burt !

7. Steven_Burt

Wow - We seriously have some of the most interesting people on earth in this forum! Must be a trader trait. :p

@emmett kelly My grandson is an aspiring director with some contacts. If you run into Kyle Coubal, drop my name, couldn't hurt.

@bigbear0083 Have a look at https://education.pythoninstitute.org/users/login they have a complete course on Python and many others for free. I think it cost if you want certification, but I am really happy with it so far.

Really great stuff in here guys!

Three Eyes and Stockaholic like this.
  8. Steven_Burt

This is one of the local guys here in Yuma, You gotta get to the part were he is in the water. check out the size of the Large Mouth:

Jrich and Onepoint272 like this.
  9. stock1234

stock1234 2017 Stockaholics Contest Winner

I like playing basketball casually with a few friends. I idolized MJ and the Bulls growing up :p Play soccer casually sometimes too although not as much as basketball.

Steven_Burt likes this.
  10. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

We have much in common... Also a fisherman!... North Texas for me, pretty much the same species here, add to the list white, striped and hybrid bass.... Also a big largemouth fan!.. I even make all my own bass lures, from crank baits to plastic worms to spinners, my whole tackle box is home made.... But i try not to discriminate, forcing myself to go after crappie and channel cats on occasion, both of which i thoroughly enjoy catching (and eating)....... Soon ill be able to tap into the white/hybrid fisheries when i finish the project boat i just started

Also just took up gardening last year... We didn't do bad for our first time, nice harvest of tomatoes, okra, cucumbers, green beans, bell peppers and even some pumpkins for Halloween

And if i remember correctly, youre also a truck driver... We're practically twins:D.... Except i don't speak computer verry well

Steven_Burt likes this.
  11. Steven_Burt

LOl probably separated at birth. :D

The bite has been pretty good over here, lots of my buddies pilling in some big ones. I haven't reeled in anything over three pounds in some time but iy's just a matter of time. I'm also hoping to get my hands on a john boat pretty soon, that will improve the fishing I am sure.

Jrich likes this.