Trump could make history

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Gray Wolf, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Z0da

Z0da Member

2. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

Happy Inauguration Day everyone! :D

[​IMG]

Jrich and OldFart like this.
  3. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

The markets are stronger than i anticipated this morning prior to speech. The key is the speech can push it higher or cause it to fall...Stay tuned

upload_2017-1-20_8-11-53.png

Attached Files:

OldFart likes this.
  4. Tiptopptrader

Tiptopptrader Well-Known Member

Not a big drop as sentiment was still high

upload_2017-1-20_13-10-37.png

5. Stockaholic

The Smoothest Transition Ever
    Jan 23, 2017

By most accounts, the first weekend of the Trump Administration wasn’t good. Characterized as rocky, erratic, terrible, and full of false claims, the ‘not ready for prime time’ transition team is now the ‘not ready for prime-time administration.’ However you want to characterize it, there were certainly some missteps in the Trump administration’s transition from the election to the Inauguration as well as during its first weekend. There will also no doubt be additional missteps along the way over the next four (or eight) years. That said, a lot of this is to be expected. Anytime you have a complete changeover in Washington (even right down to the drapes in the Oval Office), there are going to be issues that come up.

By at least one measure, though, the Trump Administration’s transition has been pretty smooth. The table below was from this week’s Bespoke Report newsletter and shows how the DJIA performed from Election Day through Inauguration Day for each newly elected President since 1896. Along with the DJIA’s performance during each transition, we also show the maximum percentage decline the index saw from a closing high during each period. With a gain of 7.62% during Trump’s transition, the DJIA had its second best transition performance since 1896. More importantly, with a maximum decline of 1.2% from a closing high, no other newly elected President has ever seen a less volatile transition period! Call it whatever you want, but from the stock market’s perspective at least, the Trump transition was the smoothest ever.

[​IMG]

OldFart likes this.
  6. Stockaholic

Trump moving fast on several issues in just his first week in office.

It's nice to finally have an assertive president for a change IMO. I like how what Trump says he'll do, he actually carries on with it and doesn't just put it off on the back burner or whatever. That's what I mean by assertive. And he's just getting started. :D

I don't meant to get too political in here (and others in here may disagree with what I'm about to say), but I did think the outgoing president wasn't very assertive if you will. And a bit weak to boot. JMHO.

OldFart and Jrich like this.
  7. Stockaholic

Where Does The Trump Rally Rank After 100 Days?
    Posted by lplresearch

President Trump’s 100th day in office is right around the corner on April 29. This coincides with a potential government shutdown; so all of this, coupled with the French elections this weekend, could make the remaining weeks of April quite interesting.

We’ve heard the question many times: Where does the Trump rally rank? That is what we will look at today. The term “hundred days” was first used on July 24, 1933, on the radio by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. He was discussing the 100-day session of the 73rd U.S. Congress, but over time this term has changed to refer to the first 100 days of a new president.

Per Ryan Detrick, Senior Market Strategist, “The Dow over the first 100 days has been higher with the past five presidents by 4.6% on average, and the Dow is currently up 2.9% since President Trump took office. With a median return of 2.7%, this would rank near the middle of the pack for all presidents going back to 1900. Most might find that surprising, but of course, much of the Trump rally took place prior to his inauguration, and those gains don’t count in this case.”

[​IMG]

What can we glean from those first 100 days? Is there any pattern that might suggest how stocks will do during the rest of the time Trump is in office? You can look for yourself below, but there doesn’t appear to be any clue as to what might happen. President Eisenhower had a weak first 100 days, then a big rally over the remainder of his time in office. Conversely, President Taft saw a big rally during the first 100 days, only to have negative returns for the remainder of his time in office. In the end, fundamentals, valuations, and technicals drive long-term equity returns. The good news is only once since the Great Depression did that mean lower returns for the remainder of time in office after the first 100 days.

[​IMG]

8. Centaura

Centaura New Member

Yes, trump would definitely make history by triggering us economic collapse 2017, Increasing national debt, Low gdp and many more.

9. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

Great article, click the link. Thanks for sharing.

10. OldFart

OldFart Well-Known Member

Obama already did that.
    20 trillion in debt and not a damn thing to show for it.

#50 OldFart, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  11. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

People wanted change, they got it. Sad part is Hillary almost got in, that would have been a true joke. Can you imagine the U.S. under her ruins??

fireopal and OldFart like this.
  12. twerpner

twerpner Active Member

I know right. The worst fear of the Republicans with Hillary in office was endless Congressional investigations, the US bombing and getting involved in the Middle East, and the ACA not being fully repealed.. Can you imagine what that would look like??? :D;)

tbw875 likes this.
  13. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

I would have voted Democrat if I felt the canidate was the best choice. Being a independent I'm not bound to either party.

OldFart likes this.
  14. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

Im not a Hillary hater either, actually voted for Obama the first time, just felt Trump could assemble a better team. Our military should be built up and prepared, World leaders are put off guard by Trump and intimidated to say the least. We're sending illegals back where they belong. I've noticed some changes that make me feel confident, honestly think most of the World would have basically laughed at Hillary in power, that's why I chose not to vote for her.

15. twerpner

twerpner Active Member

I live in Canada and believe me they are laughing away.

16. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

Ha!... Funny cause it's true

We're not getting exactly what we were expecting so far.... But if I recall correctly, Obama butted his head against the same wall in his first term, blocked at every corner by a rebel congress.... Only this time, they're SUPOSE to be on the same team!

Trump may be a master negotiator, but how do you negotiate with a group of people who have nothing to win and nothing to lose??...... Block a better health care bill because it's not "better enough"... Twist the idea of a tax break for EVERYONE into a tax break for only the rich... And have the public believe the president is the incompetent one

All that aside, I'd say he's already proven the haters wrong... No one can argue that he's doing the job, taking it seriously and keeping his nose to the grind stone...... And I'd much rather have a better economy "in the works" than another 4 year extension of commerce suppression under a white/female Obama (Hillary)

OldFart likes this.
  17. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

RUSH, my favorite band of all time is from Canada. JRICH is right, the cards are stacked against him as the good Ole boy system is hard at work as usual. Pretty much the same regardless of who the President is, the system sucks and is out of control but who can change it.

18. Bridget Mallory

Bridget Mallory Active Member

I am looking forward to this. I am not a pro, but I am giving him a chance.

Timbo likes this.
  19. Stockaholic

not too shabby eh? :)

Trump Rally Nears 1-Year Anniversary at Third Best
    [​IMG]
    In a few days, on November 9, the Trump rally will mark its 1-year anniversary. As of last Friday’s close, S&P 500 had gained 19.63% from the close of trading on the day after the 2016 Presidential election. This is the third best showing by S&P 500 since 1950 and newly-elected, first-term presidents. President Kennedy takes top honors with a 27.86% gain and President G.H.W. Bush holds the second spot at 23.14%.

President Bush’s rally made it to the 18-month marker only to fade shortly thereafter when Iraq invaded Kuwait in early August of 1990. Kennedy’s rally ended with a bear market that began in December 1961 and ultimately chopped 27.1% off the S&P 500 by the time it ended in June 1962.

[​IMG]

Jrich likes this.
  20. Stockaholic

love him or hate him y'all gotta admit that a lot of things that trump was pushing for during the presidential campaign has gotten done in his first year in office already. not too shabby.

now that tax reform looks to be out of the way before year end, it paves the way for other reforms to get done in the new year.

i'm not here to get political (that's not my field!) but just looking at things objectively here and not listening to all the crap that spews from the media (it's easy to do that) i do think trump has done a pretty good job in his first year. that's just me though others can disagree.

like i said i'm not much of a political junkie...just honestly looking at things w/o the influence of other people or the media.

anyhow, i just wanted to get that in there. maybe i shouldn't have bumped this thread. looking forward to seeing what 2018 brings us! :)

Jrich and OldFart like this.