Trump could make history

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Gray Wolf, Apr 28, 2016.

1. OldFart

OldFart Well-Known Member

no more individual mandate baby!!!!....whoohoooo!!!!

Jrich and Stockaholic like this.
  2. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

First president in history to catch flack for actually keeping his promises

OldFart likes this.
  3. fireopal

fireopal Well-Known Member

BermudianOption likes this.
  4. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

They call me Timbo and I stand behind this statement.

OldFart and Jrich like this.
  5. OldFart

6. Sean Kelly

Sean Kelly New Member

a "DARKER" President? Humm. I didn't realize that mattered. :eek:

7. emmett kelly

emmett kelly Well-Known Member

Nice reduction of over 20% in my federal income tax withholding in today's paycheck. With the significant increase in my health insurance premiums that kicked in on January 1, I'm pretty much back to where I was at end of 2017 in take home pay.

8. OldFart

That's why we need a complete repeal of the ACA, or at the very least, people should be able to buy insurance across state lines like every other purchase that you can make.
    If you want to buy tires, are you restricted to buying only tires in your own county or city?....nope...that should also be true of insurance.

Timbo likes this.
  9. emmett kelly

emmett kelly Well-Known Member

Amazon jumping into the insurance business can't hurt. Competition is the only way to drive down costs. Pretty simple, really.

OldFart and Jrich like this.
  10. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

How Do President Trump’s First 500 Days Rank?

As President Trump mentioned on Twitter yesterday, he has officially been in office for 500 calendar days. Although how he has done has led to many an argument at family dinners, it is easier to break things down from purely a market perspective.

“It has definitely been an eventful stretch, but what stands out is that the Dow has made more new highs under President Trump during the first 500 days than any other President going back to 1900. The 25.2% return is quite impressive, but it ranks sixth out of the past 20 Presidents,” according to LPL Research Senior Market Strategist Ryan Detrick.

As our LPL Chart of the Day shows, Trump narrowly topped President Obama, but Franklin Roosevelt easily tops the list as he oversaw the Dow’s nearly 80% run-up as the country emerged from the Great Depression:

[​IMG]

Onepoint272 and Jrich like this.
  11. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Well-Known Member

Unfortunately this chart misses one very important consideration and I mean that for all entries up and down the list. What is so very important is a consideration of what that particular president inherit when he started. One that is handed a bull market is at a distinct advantage over one that inherits an established bear market and has to work their way out of it.

fireopal and twerpner like this.
  12. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

meh...y'know i hear that a lot.

now, i'm not denying that what you say may be true there @JerryM, but i think it's worth at least some credit given how pessimistic many were around the time of the election, with everyone and their cousins calling for a market crash, bear market, recession, *insert your market negatives here*, etc, etc.

we're now over 500 days into this administration and things aren't falling apart, markets aren't melting down...things may have gotten a little overheated at the beginning of this year thus we had a little froth taken off the top, but now back in recovery mode with about half the market back at ATHs, it was a healthy and much needed correction.

i get that the markets & economy weren't fairing too bad then, however given how many people were (and still are) calling for things to go south, and markets to go into the next bear cycle, we still see no signs of it yet. these scary stock market corrections every once in a while are pretty healthy and normal, especially after the non-volatile year that we had the past year. that was pretty abnormal at best. what we see this year is more par for the course.

i'm not afraid to reveal who i cast my ballot for this past election (yeah i went republican for the first time -- but was undecided 'til the last week), honestly didn't really care for either candidate too much, but thought having that crazy woman (not all women are crazy, but this one in particular!) in office would have been a colossal disaster for the country and the world, since it was basically just a continuation of the prior administration's policies which on the surface might have looked fine and dandy but not in reality...at least not in my view.

anyway, i don't want to get too political in here because that's certainly not my area of expertise so i'll stop right here haha.

i'm honestly just saying it like i see. i think it's pretty impressive that we're still into this bull cycle even after almost 10 years later. another couple of years of this and we could be saying that this was the longest running bull market in history. i think there's a legit shot of that happening, baring no crazy black swan appearances! :p

wow this got a little more lengthy than i was hoping. :eek:

Jrich likes this.
  13. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

One could easily argue to the contrary.... That "rock bottom" only leaves one direction to go.... And that "recovery" is just another word for reversion to the mean

Although, i don't have a lot of room to talk... The Trump rally marked my first year in the markets.. Up until the big correction, i had never seen the markets act the way they're supposed to, with green AND red on the charts

There is plenty of data, and a trail of broken records to back the claim that 2017 was a historic event, and im thankful to be part of it...... Ive got plenty of life left to live, maybe ill witness a run like that again some day:rolleyes:

OldFart, Stockaholic and Onepoint272 like this.
  14. fireopal

rotlf >> c'mon old fart - this is what she looked like with clinton & i guess it just comes down to blonde or brunette - fresh 21/22 year old versus ah n/m lol

monica.jpg

Jrich and Onepoint272 like this.
  15. fireopal

Very well said and unlike Trumpty, Obama certainly did inherit quite a mess!!

Back to add because don't want you to think i was directing the following articles to you @JerryM - just didn't feel bouncing thread too many times is all :)

Trump brags of '500 days of greatness' – but how do his boasts stack up?
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jun/04/trump-500-days-president-american-greatness

market aside, this is very telling but is from that "fake news" source lol and like article states, there is still time for him to turn things around...

How Does Trump Stack Up Against the Best — and Worst — Presidents?
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...up-against-the-best-and-worst-presidents.html

#75 fireopal, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  16. fireopal

same here and is why i didn't vote for either :D

17. Onepoint272

Onepoint272 2019 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Me too. I figured not voting was a vote against the 2-party dictatorship.

fireopal likes this.
  18. fireopal

system definitely needs to change imo & we need better choices for sure b/c these 2 were off the charts with the blatant lies & no way was i going to compromise my values to vote for either. And too bad too b/c really would like to vote at least once before i leave this planet!! Came real close with Obama until i caught him in a lie & was looking forward to voting for Trump BUT...

OldFart likes this.
  19. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

Some weird catch 22 with Trump.... While he flip flops and, well, lets be honest, *lies* even more than your average politician.. He is also keeping more promises than your average president.... So, take that wherever you wanna go with it

And... Running on the Republican ticket doesn't make DT a Republican any more than standing in a garage makes you a car..... But, he's not a dumb liar.. There are only 2 doors into the oval office, Ross Perot learned that the hard way

20. fireopal

^^ trump made 101 campaign promises & as of 1/16/18 >> promises kept 9.8% --- compromised 6.9% -- broken 6.9% -- Stalled 32.4% --- In the works 44.1% http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/trumpometer/

Not looking back into history so just gonna show last president's almost 2 years in office as reported on 9/6/12 which seems to indicate trump is a bit behind & has about 3 months left...

Obama made 508 campaign promises & as of 9/6/12 >> the president has kept 37% of them, compromised on 14% of them, has broken 16% of them, has gotten stalled on 10% of them and 22% are still "in the works. https://www.cnn.com/2012/09/06/politics/obama-report-card/index.html

T0rm3nted and Onepoint272 like this.