TSLA - Tesla Inc

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by Administrator, Mar 21, 2016.

1. leonx81

leonx81 Well-Known Member

Elon Musk Interview: 1-on-1 with Sandy Munro

2. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

$1200 target?

Feels like not too long ago $400 was a lofty target, has so much changed fundamentally or is Piper Sandler really really long? :D

3. B Russ

B Russ Well-Known Member

They changed the way they looked at tesla. Went from having a skeleton crew of old school car analysts slapping targets on them, to putting “expert” analysts evaluating each portion of the company in their respective fields.

ie...AI analyst, energy analysts, auto analyst, battery analyst, insurance analysts, so on.

their latest upgrade report was i think, 108 pages deep.

If im thinking of the same company. But regardless if i have the right firm or not, all their stories will be the same when they open their eyes.

TomB16 likes this.
  4. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

In this regard, I share his point of view.

A55 and I shared a couple of out band conversations. He was a good person and i miss his presence.

For what its worth, I'm pretty confident Rustic1 is a different person than A55. Rustic1 is also a good person and great to hang out with on the forum.

5. B Russ

B Russ Well-Known Member

I enjoyed A55 as well. We seemed to have some similar pasts and he is a good investor. I just couldnt make heads or tails of some posts! Lol. But always was entertaining.

i just try to keep my cocaine and hookers chatter down in here. Out of respect for the forum. My friends get all that talk. Haha

TomB16 likes this.
  6. Rustic1

Rustic1 Well-Known Member

Thanks. Have no clue about who A55 is. I'm just a little guy that has a lot of time on his hands.
    Was HSM member from way back left after they went to the new platform. Googled HSM and it led me here.
    Would gladly do a meet and greet to share ideas and so forth.
    Trying to convert from a trader to a investor, it has its challenges. But my files shows the investor stands a better chance. Solid companies stand the test of time and the dips can be a better chance to add.

I'm outspoken and have a bad habit of speaking my mind. I fully believe if the tricks had not been pulled last week ",Thurs Fri" the outcome would be different.

I stand tall with TSLA and feel very confident as a investor.

My salute to the guys like you that had the guts and patience to hang on through some wild rides that were nerve racking to say the least.

B Russ likes this.
  7. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Was that directed at me, R1? Perhaps so.

Let me share what it was like to hold long through a circus of market manipulation and lies: No big deal.

The long version....

In early going, Tesla was a bit of a media darling. The roadster was the best electric car anyone had seen. I followed from before Elon took over as CEO. They weren't smeared with lies and fear until they became a threat.

As much as I liked the company, I knew Tesla was going to die until 2015, when they announced the PowerWall. I could immediately see energy storage possibilities that would dwarf the potential of the auto industry. At that point, I realized there was a possibility of Tesla not going away.

Self driving dwarfs energy storage but that was barely an idea, back then. DARPA contests were impressive and yet big money interests couldn't get a jeep across the desert to a flag with minimal obstacles.

By early 2016, I thought Tesla had a 50% chance to succeed on the long term. By mid 2016, that confidence grew to about 60% and I bought in heavily. "Heavily", considering it was an automotive startup. The idea of starting a car company was even more ridiculous then than it is now.

My thought was that I had a decent chance of Tesla returning 10x in 10 years. 4x is easy, with an established company so there would have been no need to take the risk on a new startup car company for that. I had no idea it would return 22x in 4.5 years and I scoffed at the fan boys who were pointing to those sort of epic returns. It turns out, they were correct and I was wrong.

I held those original shares until January of 2021.

But, that's not what you are talking about.....

When Tesla survived the Model 3 ramp of 2017, it was clear they were turning into a real car company. That's when the FUD really started flying. Production ramp delays were portrayed as a falling sky. My Tesla Reddit group featured pictures and video of semi-trucks hauling Teslas out of the parking lot and their staging lots. CNBC was announcing a cessation of manufacturing due to problems and I was seeing several trucks per day hauling Teslas out of Fremont. Meanwhile, the serial number registrations corroborated the pics and video from Fremont. I was totally relaxed with my ownership in Tesla, at that time.

By 2018, Bob Lutz was making two appearances on CNBC per week, announcing the death of Tesla. His exact words (that he repeated every time) were, "Tesla is dead. They just don't know it, yet." Big oil was mounting a full on media assault. Jim Chanos was launching hit article after hit article. Considering the onslaught, the stock was doing surprisingly well. Meanwhile, I could see cars shipping at an astonishing rate.

The thing that revved me up the most was seeing Tesla shipping as many cars as they could spare to China. Every week, Pier 80 in San Francisco was filling with Teslas and being drained on Wednesday. Hundreds of cars per week. There weren't many companies shipping manufactured goods to China.

In early 2019, the anti-Tesla frenzy was comical. Cathie Wood was regularly being shouted down on CNBC. Bob Lutz was preaching his bi weekly eulogy to reverent CNBC panels, Jim Chanos announced Tesla was out of cash, and the books showed Tesla was buoyant.

Something was up. This was more than spin. Either Tesla was cooking their books or an entire industry of analysts and media were openly crooked in their Tesla bashing.

I knew the media was, at least, lying about Tesla shipments. We could see cars streaming out of Fremont and construction at Shanghai was in progress.

So, I quadrupled our Tesla position in the spring of 2019 at the same price as the original 2016 shares.

There were two more buy events but they were relatively small, in comparison to the two major tranches.

The buys were contrary, to say the least. They were contrary within my household. lol!

To be an investor, you need to embrace research and believe it. I do. Hype and "from the hip" opinions carry zero weight to me. I live and die on my own decisions.

So, yes, it was a wild ride but I don't feel it took courage or patience.

8. Another One

Another One New Member

Hi guys,

german folk here.
    I'm reading and learning from your posts since march on an almost daily basis. So thanks a lot for all your valuable input!
    As most germans are really clueless about the stock market i'm very happy, i found this board.

I'm a student in my mid twenties who started investing like 18 months ago. Luckily i was very cautious in the first months, so I sat on about 80% cash as the pandemic was about to start. Between mid-march and july/august (im not really sure) I invested 90% of my money in the stock market. About the half of it into funds (all world, emerging markets, sp500) and the other half in stocks (especially tesla, but also amazon, enphase energy, microsoft, nvidia).

For now i got some news/rumours!, which i only find in german media.
    There's an rumour, that Tesla wants to buy 20% of outstanding shares of BYD.

German article:
    https://t3n.de/news/china-coup-tesla-byd-1353606/

"Chinese media are spreading the rumor that Tesla is seeking a 20 percent share in the car and battery manufacturer BYD. The share is to be taken over half in cash and half in own shares.

Chosun, the oldest and highest-circulation newspaper in South Korea, picks up on a rumor that is spreading in China via various online publications. They claim to have learned from a source close to BYD that Elon Musk's Tesla is interested in a stake in China's largest electric carmaker BYD (Build Your Dream).

Will Tesla take over 20 percent of battery giant BYD?

According to the report, 20 percent of the company's shares are being discussed for a rumored amount of 36 billion US dollars. According to the current market valuation, however, the amount would correspond to slightly more than a third of the shares.

BYD is ahead of Tesla in the overall EV sales ranking in China. The manufacturer sold around 190,000 electric vehicles in the People's Republic last year. Both manufacturers are well ahead of other EV producers that like to see themselves in the Tesla environment, such as Nio with its approximately 43,000 and Xpeng with its approximately 27,000 cars sold in 2020.

In the model rankings, Tesla's Model 3 was ahead of BYD's Han. The Model 3 landed at No. 2 on the sales charts in China, just behind GM joint venture Wuling's Hongguang Mini EV. The Han landed at No. 4 in the rankings.

BYD could secure Tesla's battery supply in the long run

BYD is probably even more interesting to Tesla as a battery manufacturer than as a carmaker. If you combine the production divisions for cars and smartphones and other devices, BYD is the world's largest manufacturer of rechargeable batteries.

In terms of electric cars, BYD is currently in the top 4 of the largest battery suppliers worldwide. Tesla, meanwhile, is not one of the manufacturer's customers so far. The US carmaker currently only works with LG Chem, CATL and Panasonic.

BYD is sure to attract special attention since it unveiled its new blade batteries. These have a higher energy density than conventional lithium-ion packs and, above all, are supposed to be safer. Electric vehicles with blade batteries are said to be far less susceptible to fires or even explosions, even in serious accidents.

Neither Tesla nor BYD have yet commented on the investment rumor."

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

South Korean article:
    https://www.chosun.com/economy/auto/2021/02/02/MCNSQU324NBJLLKI7E2LCGQCR4/

If this turns out to be true, it would be pretty big news.

TomB16 and Rustic1 like this.
  9. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Welcome to Stockaholics, Another One. Thank you for sharing this rumour. It is interesting, indeed. :thumbsup:

I look forward to seeing you around the forums. :)

10. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

That would be a tough one to prove or disprove.

Im guessing its this one:

upload_2021-2-4_10-16-40.png

11. B Russ

B Russ Well-Known Member

Tom b’s story on tsla is amazing!

i was later to the party! But he was a big influence on my decision to invest in them.

Back up. i had a friend talking about the roadster before tsla was public. I tried to invest then, but didnt know that much about that much. Now i know a little more about not much. Haha

i was in and out of the market, spending months in, and yrs out, blowing up accounts with options. I always wanted tsla, but they were “too expensive” I Saw tsla explode with the china ramp up, thinking i missed the bus. Then corona hit, i quickly came to the forums, brushed off the rust, took a loan out to put into the market, and made 95% of my porfolio, tsla. I ultimately got in for about $460 pre split.

12. Rustic1

No doubt, his level of experience and the time spent in this forum speaks magnitudes.

Honored to see he was rewarded for his longterm views.

TomB16 likes this.
  13. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Gentlemen.

Thank you for the regard. I appreciate it and offer my respect, in return. I will mention that I have to turn on the fan after using bathroom every morning, just like everyone else.

Meanwhile, as best I can determine, Tesla is on schedule to increase production by 70~85% per year, for the next two years. It appears Elon was sandbagging on the earnings call.

14. Rustic1

Wow. You have indoor plumbing.
    I still enjoy reading my sears and roebuck while shooing the flies.

TomB16 likes this.
  15. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Yeah, he thinks he is better than us!

16. Rustic1

No doubt, just because he is a better investor than I will ever be, how dare him. LOL

Outhouse+Shower+Curtain+Set+++Hooks.jpg

17. leonx81

leonx81 Well-Known Member

Rob from Tesla Daily talked about it recently on his Podcast:

18. BigPear

BigPear Member

On February 3rd, Tesla's Shanghai Supercharging Pile Factory was completed and put into operation, representing the world's leading third-generation Supercharging Pile (V3) rolled off the production line.

19. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Looks like the $800 level is due for a test

20. Rustic1

Can we see 500?