Welcome Stockaholics!

We are a new and fast growing financial forum! Sign up for free and let's talk stocks!

1. Do you want to help develop this community? We are looking for contributions from investors and traders like you! What stocks do you follow? What is hot right now? Sign up and get in on the ground floor of the newest, fastest growing financial forum!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You will notice a live chat widget on the right. Click in to join us and lets hear about how you nailed that last UWTI trade!
    Dismiss Notice

TSLA - Tesla Inc

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by Administrator, Mar 21, 2016.

1. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Quick note about Hibar.

Hibar designs and manufactures battery manufacturing equipment. Specifically, their equipment appears to be exclusively designed to build spiral cells.

On a few occasions, Elon has mentioned Panasonic has been the bottleneck in production. This acquisition is clearly intended to augment Panasonic production.

TeslaPanasonic.png

Tesla had a 30 day termination clause in their 2009 Panasonic contract. I'm not sure about the current contract as I haven't read it.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1318605/000119312510017054/dex1033.htm

There are several years left on the Tesla Panasonic contract and Tesla seems to have no interest in having Panasonic develop pouch or prismatic cells, therefore, Tesla has committed to cylindrical cells for some years.

It seems reasonable Hibar will develop the cylindrical cell production platform for Tesla to expand 3/Y production and perhaps eventually replace Panasonic as a supplier while Grohmann develops a pouch/prismatic production platform.

My guess is the semi will have prismatic (or pouch) cells and so will the MegaPack. We will know fairly soon.

T0rm3nted likes this.
  2. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Q3 earnings call on October 23, 2019 at 3:30 PM PST.

[Edit: correction]

#1182 TomB16, Oct 9, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    StockJock-e likes this.
  3. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

I don't understand why the price continues to hover around $246.

Tesla is constrained by battery cell production. They have stopped investing in Panasonic because of it. They have obvious plans to build their own cells but that will take many months, best case. It will be a whole new production process to design and ramp, not to mention the new battery chemistries they are trying to bring to production.

Right now, they can build more cars than they can put batteries in. This explains why nothing is happening on the Freemont expansion. I expect there is a hold on everything, as every project they have depends on battery supply.

Maybe they can source some cells from LG but given how everyone in the industry is short on battery supply, that doesn't seem likely.

The only hope short term traders have is that Panasonic will work on increasing their production efficiency for the lines they have at Gigafactory 1.

Given how fickle the market is, I suspect this price is being buoyed by ignorance. Between now and six months from now when Tesla *starts* the ramp of their own cell production lines, the folks pricing this up will have made hundreds of trades. lol!

4. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Tesla to open new ‘Tesla Centers’ to avoid dealership restrictions, increase deliveries

TomB16 likes this.
  5. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

The roof of the battery plant is going up as quickly as the general assembly building. Some of it is already prepared and painted white, ready for cladding. The plant is said to become operational toward the end of Q1, 2020. I expect the building will appear externally complete by roughly the end of this year.

I wonder if Tesla can bring in Hibar equipment and have a new cell production facility online by the end of Q1 or if they will use the facility to build packs with LG cells for a while. Further, I wonder if they will first build a prototype line or two at GF1, as that would make sense. The question is how will they produce the anode? Does anyone know if Hibar has an anode production solution? Perhaps Grohmann has something in the pipeline?

I don't think they will be using dry anode technology on 20700 cells. As I understand, it is not compatible with spiral cells. If they can create 2070 cells with dry anodes that don't crack, I will be pouring a ton more money into Tesla.

Back to GF3....

There is another unknown building going up on the south end of the lot, near the power station. No idea what it's for but it is progressing as quickly as the battery plant.

Meanwhile, there are a lot more concrete pads, dormitories, and small structures. They continue to build this out at an astonishing pace.

Chinese media have announced tomorrow as the first day of production.

Model Y is expected in 1Q2020. I suspect the release date is a bit soft, as they don't need to rush it to market and they need to be careful to not release it before they can produce sufficient numbers and that will mean a lot more battery supply.

T0rm3nted likes this.
  6. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Looks like this bouncing around 220 to 240 is done

7. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't count on price stability. The earnings call is in 9 days and I expect it to be a 3 ring circus. Who knows what will come of that.

I don't see how Elon can do anything other than indicate Panasonic has been a barrier to production ramp and that they are moving toward independence from Panasonic in the future. Of course, he will declare his long term loyalty to Panasonic but Tesla has invested billions into equipment that is operating at 60% efficiency and Tesla has big expansion plans. They don't even produce enough cells for their energy storage division. I wouldn't be surprised if some US built Model 3 are also made with non-Panasonic cells.

Hibar had best be working like the life of the unified company depends on it.

8. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

TomB16 likes this.
  9. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Trustworthy Tesla paparazzi Vincent mentioned the Tesla truck unveiling will be next month.

10. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

GF3 battery questions are becoming clear.

Model 3 production will begin with battery packs from GF1.

Pack production will start at GF3 with LG cells at the start of November.

Production is rumored to have started but there are no leaked pics of new cars coming out of GF3. I assume they will produce a very small volume of cars for the first couple of weeks, before they get GF3 pack production online, as they trial the GF3 production process.

11. Onepoint272

Onepoint272 Well-Known Member

Drove through Illinois yesterday, south to north (East St. Louis to South Beloit), and heard on the radio that Rivian is intending to build EVs, including a truck, in the closed Mitsubishi plant in Normal, IL. The CEO says they will be the biggest car company in the world.

Edit: Sorry, he may have said "...one of the biggest..."

As I understand it they have major investments from Ford and Amazon.

#1191 Onepoint272, Oct 15, 2019 at 10:09 PM
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019 at 12:29 AM
  12. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Total auto production for Q3 was 113318. Everyone is hung up on the 97K number for model 3 production but S/X numbers are both higher on the quarter.

I ran some numbers and it appears gross revenue is up $1.3B. That number should be reasonably close.

I have considered Q3 expenses and come to the conclusion I have no idea, however I do have this: They can spend $0.9B more than Q2 and break even in Q3.

Whatever Rivian is doing to kill Tesla, they might want to look at doing it more quickly.

13. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Here is an epic video of Tesla Gigafactory 3 construction. I believe this video was taken yesterday and shows the current situation for phase 2 and the new fence (original blown down in cyclone).

It can be a bit confusing to watch GF3 videos because they aren't posted in real time. Someone could put up a video of 14 day old content and that makes it a bit tough to track. Fortunately, there are tons of photos and video on WeChat and other sources for those of us who follow GF3 like it is the Zapruter film.

[​IMG]
    For those who haven't been following closely, the first vertical steel column was installed on March 16, 2019, in an empty field.

14. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

One guy at my plant just retired and went to Rivian. They're still getting the plant set up for mass production. Amazon ordered 100,000 Rivian electric delivery vans apparently.

15. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Its going up pretty fast.

The thing is, when creating these factories in China, its assumed that corporate espionage is just part of the deal. No doubt the battery technology used will be stolen and replicated. That is usually bad for business, but in the bigger picture, better for the planet :D

If China starts pumping out massive battery production for EV's, that is one giant country moving away from fossil fuel which is good!

Its been part of their plan to have 60% of car sales be EV's by 2035, and eventually ban all combustion engines.

T0rm3nted likes this.
  16. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Progress at GF3 is unbelievable. Pads, structures, pavement... it's all going on and it is all looking nearly finished.

The battery plant has lots more roof structure and they have started installing purlins. I'm sure we will see quite a bit of roof sheathing installed in the next week.

The speed of this factory construction is sobering. I've followed a lot of construction and have never seen anything like this.