TSLA - Tesla Inc

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by Administrator, Mar 21, 2016.

1. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

This is the best Reddit comment I've read in a long while.

"This pace of construction is barely giving Tesla naysayers time to move the goalposts." - Ted Carson

2. Auri

Auri Well-Known Member

3. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Apparently, Tesla is having significant problems ramping model Y production. I wonder if the problem is the casting process they use to streamline Y production.

4. Auri

Auri Well-Known Member

It is possible, but a large company like TESLA and the talent they have they will find a solution.

5. zukodany

zukodany Well-Known Member

Any thoughts of discussion about Nikola in this thread/board?
    Curious what’s everyone’s opinion is on the company

6. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Nikola will have a far, far easier time bootstrapping themselves than Tesla did. They have big support and don't face the FUD stream that Tesla did and still does.

So, the odds of Nikola succeeding are probably 100x higher than the odds of Tesla succeeding, when Tesla was their size, but it's still unlikely Nikola will be around in two years. Tesla pulled the sword from the stone. The odds they surmounted cannot be over satated.

I hope Nikola succeeds but I'm skeptical.

Their vision isn't nearly as clear as Tesla's, either. They were hydrogen cell initially, then said they can produce a battery electric truck without much effort. They aren't a company I would bet on.

T0rm3nted likes this.
  7. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

There goes $1000/shr.

8. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

NKLA had a higher market cap than Ford briefly in yesterdays trading.
    Either F or NKLA is valued incorrectly ;)

9. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Hydrogen cells are nice, but the argument is that its simply stepping stone to full electric, which is where we should be.

Are they going to try roll out a nation wide hydrogen transportation and storage network just as a stepping stone to full electric? Hmm.

B Russ likes this.
  10. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Both are grossly over valued, imo.

Of course, money is made by finding companies that old guys like me think are over valued and buying them before we realize our ignorance.

Money is also made by finding companies that young, smart, people are overly optimistic about and shorting them.

Place your bets.

The Brontide likes this.
  11. zukodany

I simply don’t buy it because it doesn’t fit my investment narrative. But have to admit I’m quite surprise at how much money they managed to “raise” in such a short period of time. I wouldn’t be surprised if they become a household name among EVs in years to come, but I would prefer to invest in foreign, mainly Chinese, EVs instead of NKLA. But that doesn’t fit my investing principles either. so long story short, I’m keeping away from this but following it closely

12. zukodany

And wow.. TSLA up to a grand today. This was my first stock purchase almost a year to date. Never thought it would hit this high but hey I’m not complaining

fireopal likes this.
  13. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Its impressive, but also perplexing because any kind of delays were once seen as a bad thing, now the market simply brushed it off.

The pendulum always swings.

TomB16 likes this.
  14. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Construction materials are now on the ground, beside the open section of roof. It appears we have an expansion underway at Giga Nevada.

T0rm3nted likes this.
  15. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Batteries.

Tesla is pretty far down the economy of scale curve, with regard to battery production. Expanding production will not drive down cost much.

Tesla can reduce their cell cost in three ways:

- take ownership of production
    - innovate production processes
    - innovate battery chemistry (either to reduce material cost or increase energy density)

Tesla is working hard on all three of these things.

I doubt Tesla managed production will save a lot of money but it will save some, as evidenced by Panasonic's balance sheet, and it will give them more control which is likely more valuable.

Production innovation, like dry anode, is the most fertile soil for cost reduction, at this point. I believe this is where the most cost savings will come from. There is overlap between production and chemistry innovation but I have chosen to consider them as unique work products.

Chemistry innovation will likely provide some cost benefit but larger gains can be had over time with improvements to energy density. This isn't really a silver bullet, as much as it is necessary to stay relevant. Whomever has the best battery chemistry shall dominate the EV industry. It's less important to stationary storage but still relevant.

#1595 TomB16, Jun 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    T0rm3nted likes this.
  16. B Russ

B Russ Well-Known Member

https://www.tesla.com/ns_videos/2019-tesla-impact-report.pdf

interesting read for anyone interested.
    I particularly liked page 17. They generated almost $600 million in selling their extra greenhouse credits to ICE manufacturers. Said money is to be reinvested to build more EV factory space.

its very fight club like, when they broke into the lypo clinic to make soap. And sell it right back to the lypo patients.:D:)

TomB16 and T0rm3nted like this.
  17. The Brontide

The Brontide Active Member

The 1k is just a pumped milestone. Partly influenced by the FOMO crowd and the little retail investors. Mostly by artificial pumping by the fed and alot of short covering.

The whole market is upside down in logic, and it will eventually bite some butts.

The million miles battery is just a coined phrase regarding increases in drivability range. The goal is cobalt-less batteries as it is commonly conflict country sourced. Plus the cell design structure and electrolytes desire improvement of old school lithium designs.

And in comes a new partner, CATL.

But forward thinking is also important. Cell temperature stability as well as capacity are expected.

Even more forward, cell content recycling. This is going to be a huge moneymaker if made profitable or cost effective on re-use.

But the bottom line imo, batteries will determine success or failure for a few of these corporate co-ops, like Ford and VW for example. Mostly by raw material supply and durability of the cells.

Forget looking at the market price or cap. It isn't real. And anyone who bases their investment choices on valuation will miss the big picture. Tesla will be huge, awesome, and successful. But it certainly isn't the second largest auto company by size, but only is when looking at market capitalization.

So how do I Invest in Tesla? I buy on rumor and sell on obvious emotional trends. If you are in a market like we are now, every price move is emotional and not often technical.

Did the same on Virgin Galactic, and made over 435% in a few wonderful weeks. I knew it wasn't viable or logical prices. But young FOMO traders loved it for some reason. So I milked it for what it was worth.

But I believe in Elon.

T0rm3nted likes this.
  18. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

There have been several signs Tesla has an expanded source of batteries.

Here's one. A 100kw model 3.

Attached Files:

T0rm3nted likes this.
  19. B Russ

B Russ Well-Known Member

Just read from the brokerage headlines, they trimmed $5k off my future blue model S. :D and are EPA approved at 402 mile range. Same battery, but tweeked a bit. Even more aerodynamic wheels, and weight savings in engineering.

20. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on Tesla paying a dividend, one day?