TSLA - Tesla Inc

Discussion in 'Stock Message Boards NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX' started by Administrator, Mar 21, 2016.

1. B Russ

B Russ Well-Known Member

Giant Tesla Model Y Casting Machine Spotted In Fremont Factory: Report
    8/5/20, 4:36 PM
    August 5, 2020 05:36 PM ET (BZ Newswire) -- Tech

The Tesla Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) Model Y is already an advanced product, with a two-piece casted body that reduces weight and manufacturing complexities. "When we get the big casting machine, it’ll go from 70 parts to one with a significant reduction in capital expenditure," CEO Elon Musk said in 2019.

What Happened: It appears the large casting machine is now in Fremont, according to a picture posted by Tesmanian.

Not only would this reduce the cost and complexity of Model Y, it would allow Tesla to produce more vehicles faster.

Musk has also said the Berlin-produced Model Y will be a revolution in autobody engineering.

Benzinga's Take: Tesla moves quick when it comes to vehicle updates. The company does not wait for model year refreshes, with vehicles regularly receiving software and hardware updates as soon as they are ready to be rolled out.

Tesla will also hold its battery investory day Sept. 22, which may reveal more information about the Model Y and other vehicle updates.

Photo courtesy of Tesla.

Copyright © 2020 Benzinga (BZ Newswire, http://www.benzinga.com/licensing). Benzinga does not provide investmentadvice. All rights reserved. Write to [email protected] with any questions about this content. Subscribe to Benzinga Pro (http://pro.benzinga.com).

© 2020 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.

2. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

There is also battery cell production equipment at freemont but, I believe, both cells and castings primarily come from other facilities. It doesn't make sense to me, to use a cramped to the limit production facility to host R&D but I fully trust the decision processes at Tesla.

Many years ago, Elon said he wanted each facility to produce everything, as much as possible, so they are self contained. The company has not evolved that way, however. I would like to better understand their geo-manufacturing strategy.

T0rm3nted likes this.
  3. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Giga Berlin is using a modular, pre-fabricated, building system. It was to start slow and then become faster and more efficient than the labor heavy construction methods at Shanghai. To this point, this has not been the case. The build at Berlin has not been in the same league as Shanghai.

At Shanghai, they started framing yet another building last week. It's a single story structure. It is now framed and ready for walls and roof.

Given the mechanical systems appear to be in place in the Y GA building, I have no doubt the production line is being installed and calibrated as I type this. Being as it's August, that would suggest model Y copies coming out of that building in October or November at the latest. We might even see singletons come out of there in September.

#1763 TomB16, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  4. A55

A55 Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20200808-225348.png Screenshot_20200808-225442.png Screenshot_20200808-225554.png Screenshot_20200808-225602.png

5. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Tesla declares 5 for 1 split.

T0rm3nted likes this.
  6. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Tesla is up, presumably on the chatter about potential anode free batteries.

It's possible these cells could reach fruition but it's important to keep in mind the endless volume of tech that promised the world, never delivered, and is long gone from our memories. Even if this idea turns out to be a real unicorn, it will be years in development and testing. I speculate 4~5 years before it could potentially reach a production vehicle. It could be in the field a lot sooner if Tesla achieves FSD and operates a fleet of their own vehicles. Perhaps, in this case, it could be operational in two years?

7. jolmarq

jolmarq New Member

https://thenextavenue.com/2020/08/0...talisman-will-be-rivals-of-the-tesla-model-3/

Renault and Nissan are planning to launch an electrified version of the Talisman and Maxima berlinas, besides of the Ariya, to compete with TESLA. Renault is also planning to launch an electrified Dacia (a very successfull brand in Europe) as the most cheaper option to get an electric car in Europe and part of Asia.

If Renault and Nissan can afford to launch both electrified cars with similar caracteristics as Tesla but a little lower prize, and also will be fighting for the cheaper cars level. Doesn't exist a possibility that Tesla will loss a lot of market share?

I really can't understand the different prizes nowadays. Renault owns 50% of Nissan, so buying Renault you buy both. And Renault is at 25€ and Tesla at 1500$. So what is happening? Is Tesla overprized? Is Renault ultra cheap? I don't undertand anything.

8. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

CNBC is still having Bob Lutz on to discuss Tesla. My gawd.

B Russ likes this.
  9. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

There is no top here! lol

10. B Russ

B Russ Well-Known Member

Seemed to have popped last night just as they mentioned the 5-1 split. Sadly, i tend to believe the pop is more based on share dilution and hype, than actual tech chatter (today).

i know i asked somewhere a few pages back for about 5 splits. They never have been accused of being inefficient. I guess ill take em in a lump split. Haha;)

11. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

A new wave of flooding is scheduled to hit Three Gorges Dam tomorrow.

I hurt for the people in the Yangtze river basin. This is a humanitarian crisis. :(

12. B Russ

B Russ Well-Known Member

I want to have a (water cooler) discussion on the topic of autonomous driving. Fanboy as i am, i cannot fathom where this eventual $100,000 option per car, price tag is being figured in?!?

its the generic number i keep hearing my man crush elon, saying it will be worth, one day.
    The tech, i see as invaluable. But on a per car basis?!?

i see it as the model 3 being the baseline and most affordable. Part of the draw is the tech superiority....but also aimed at mid income...

if the cars are the bees and the company is the hive, and the autonomous is the honey, how can the bees, in this scenario, afford to bring the honey back to the hive?

Or more simply put. How can the masses afford to buy the expensive packages $100k tech on the cheap cars that lets face it, most americans buying a 40k Car, are almost max extended credit wise anyway.....car ranging 40k and dropping? That tech which is relying on mass production? The reason model 3 (among other teslas) is so popular is its affordability.

$100k is not affordable for a car to drive itself when the owner is totally capable. Not to anyone other than a millionaire that doesnt need it, or a business person planning to whore their car out and never have a personal mode of transportation without having to share it or youtube it to pay for itself....

edited many times. Sorry. Cleaning up my thoughts....

#1772 B Russ, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  13. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Nobody knows, with certainly, what FSD will be worth but I think he is close.

If you could hire someone for $20K per year to drive your car 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, for Uber, where you get 100% of the profit, would it be worth it? Oh yeah... you would make out very well.

You would buy a car, give this guy $20K, and make a pretty nice monthly salary.

That's where that number comes from. $100K over 5 years is $20K per year for a driver that never sleeps or takes vacations. You buy the car with FSD and inject it into the Tesla network which will pay better than Uber.

Buying a Tesla for $150K will net out a payment of perhaps $3K per month. The car should earn a multiple of that.

#1773 TomB16, Aug 13, 2020
  14. emmett kelly

emmett kelly Well-Known Member

say what? the general public is going hail a cab with no driver? maybe on the jetsons.

B Russ likes this.
  15. B Russ

B Russ Well-Known Member

Or in 5 yrs once we are desensitized to the idea. A driverless vehicle DID dock two astronauts to the spacestation, thousands of miles away in a vacuum, and bring them back alive, to be fair.

emmett kelly likes this.
  16. B Russ

B Russ Well-Known Member

Sorry. @emmett kelly My sense of sarcasm may have been a bit off at the moment. I have habits lol:cool: But i believe u were in the sarcasm club, and know full well we are headed there?

that said, i guess so. I am a little...idk. I need wine and ice cream. I dont know how i feel about it.

safety being mission, focus, and electrifying the world. Then open source, the car, then gouge the tech seems a little off putting to me. I know its of business value. But i feel the price target will make it unattainable for what i thought was the target audience....which was the me’s of the world.
    Of course i still want one. But if im shelling $150k for a car, and its the bottom line, now all of a sudden, Ferrari is back on my radar over model 3. Maybe not mode s...but then we are also approaching 200k mark and lambo status symbol.

I guess i just feel that price would be pricing them out of buyers. Then again, once the car is purchased, it can always be an add on. Or a financed option with contract, i guess? Idk

i guess bottom line is, i want my model s with FSD, then they can make price whatever they want it to be. Lol

#1776 B Russ, Aug 13, 2020
    emmett kelly likes this.
  17. A55

A55 Well-Known Member

It's not for you, if you can't afford it. I can't afford to buy a Tesla, even without the $100,000 option.

Tesla has no intention of providing this to the masses. Tesla has no intention of providing any Tesla to the masses. Elon Musk knows who his customers are. And not everyone is a Tesla customer. I'm not. I don't have an expensive purse or heels either.

To price a Tesla or the self driving option lower, would dilute the brand image. You don't value a Tesla like a Civic. Same way caviar cost more than bait.

B Russ likes this.
  18. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

You guys clearly don't get it. You will.

If you could put downpayments of $100K on two vehicles and have a small business that would make the payments plus net $4~5K per month, you could have an austere retirement. For $200K down, you could have $8~10K per month retirement which is not austere.

Who can retire on $200K? Most people in here claim to be such great traders they could retire on $200K but no one is near that good in the real world nor has anyone here indicated they have done it. Consider me sceptical, as it would take 50% annual return to match a Tesla Transport business return. Even if someone claims to have done it, it isn't going to be common to make 50% average annual return.

Lots of people will be saying they always thought it was a great idea and easily worth $100K per vehicle or more for a robotic driver, if/when that day comes.

As far as personal use goes, I think it's going to have to shift into FSD as a service. The guy who wants his car to drive him to/from work five times per week is never going to pay $100K for the feature, nor does Tesla expect anyone to. It will end up being priced so the private guy can have his cool feature, once in a while, and the business operator pays Tesla a lot more.

I think they will also break out a safety package that will become the standard. It will allow the car to monitor your driving and keep you out of trouble but not provide FSD.

The guy who wants to be chauffeured to/from work is more likely to be a customer of the Tesla Transportation Service than to be a partner. I look forward to not owning a car. No license. No maintenance. No problems. That day isn't today, though. I'm more likely to buy another diesel Volkswagen than an electric car, at this point, but that has nothing to do with my view of Tesla as an investment.

I know it's difficult for most people to consider the implications of a business move beyond their own personal interest but we are supposted to be able to do that. We're investors.

#1778 TomB16, Aug 13, 2020
    B Russ likes this.
  19. A55

A55 Well-Known Member

20. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Consider the average person's use case. I use my car perhaps one hour per week. Many weeks, I don't use it at all. Some weeks, I may use it as much as 10 hours if we drive to see my MIL.

That's a lot of money, sitting there between 158 and 168 hours per week... licensed... insured... a 50K asset depreciating.... pay for parking at work... warm it up in winter, for those of us who live in the north...

Tesla plans to arbitrage the most common automobile use case. One day, the way we all own cars today will seem dumb as a box of rocks.

#1780 TomB16, Aug 13, 2020