Understanding IBKR's fee structure

Discussion in 'Vendors, Brokers and Product Reviews' started by mntnmvr, Dec 16, 2020.

1. mntnmvr

mntnmvr New Member

apologies for the lengthy text

haven't found any direct answers online. as someone who doesn't live in the west, IBKR is currently my best (and only) option; to invest in my future

basically it’s like this…

for an IKBR account with 2,000+ USD account balance; the monthly fee one must pay is 10 USD in commission penalty, assuming you don’t manage to buy/sell either:
    • 2,000 shares p. m. (fixed account)
    • 14,000 shares p. m. (tiered account)
    that seems a bit intimidating for a beginner (such as myself); but apparently, all fees are fully lifted, when your account reaches 100K in balance

I’ve got two conflicting arguments from others, but no answers. and this is where I’m hoping somebody with IBKR experience could share their insight…

one person said that: you just keep paying the 10 USD until retirement, or until you reach 100K (whichever comes first)

the other claim is that: that you just keep paying 10 USD until your account balance reaches 12K, where you are then charged 1% (120 USD). the higher your balance, the more the percentage drops per month. and @ 100K, the fees are fully lifted

so... which one is true?

I hope it’s the first one… because 10 USD * 12 Months * 42 (years until retirement, assuming retirement age is 65) = 5,040 USD total fees (not accounting for inflation, of course). if that’s the case, returns will likely far exceed this amount