Weather - your area... temps precip etc whats it like?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Stockaholic, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Stockaholic

Stockaholic Content Manager

Whelp, we're getting our first snow storm of the season this weekend. In fact, it would be our first snow in about 2 years. Not really expecting much of it though. 2-4 inches for my area. Living most of my life up in Jersey, 2-4 inches was considered a "dusting". But, for those people who have lived their entire life down here in the Carolina's 2-4 inches would be equivalent to a foot of snow lol.

Anyway, I'm actually looking forward to the snow. It's been long enough that I miss it haha.

It'll all be melted away the next day anyway. That's what I love about southern snow. :D

2. heyimsnuffles

heyimsnuffles Active Member

First snow of the year in Nashville!

1/2" lol :D

3. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

I love visiting the south and it snows a literal dusting and they're freaking out, the roads are crazy, the schools are shut down, etc. Up here in Northern Illinois and where I used to live in Minnesota, it's just like "Oh another 6 inches of snow? OK what else is new?"

4. heyimsnuffles

Bread and Milk was gone from the stores and schools are closed today. haha

T0rm3nted likes this.
  5. Stockaholic

Loving the temps down here the past few days. Quite dramatically different than from just 1 week ago. The other day we had temps flirting with (dare I say it...) 80. That's a little too warm for this time of the year. But, these next couple of days will be in the mid-60s. Not too shabby at all. :)

6. shellybear

shellybear Member

I am from the lower mainland just east of Vancouver, BC , Canada. We just had the snowstorm of the century and have power outages, and are currently cutoff from the interior of BC as far as highways go. Unbelievable. We received about 3 ft of snow in about 3 days... that is more than the average total annual snowfall for this area.

7. Stockaholic

Ouch. That is no fun.

I have actually been to Vancouver myself when I was younger. Albeit, during the warmer season lol. Nice place. And it was cool too because it was just a few hours drive from Seattle.

BTW, welcome to the forums @shellybear! :D

8. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

I like everything about winter, except the fishing..... Conversely, I hate everything about summer, except the fishing

Although the "cold season" in Texas is hardly a winter.... We did hit the teens last month.. But it's been in the 70's for a few weeks now, and might hit 90 for a high today

On the bright side, could mean an early pre-spawn!

9. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Well-Known Member

Mother nature played a cruel joke on us here in Southeastern Minnesota today. Gave us about 10 days of 50 degree weather totally melting our snow cover then last night temp drop and huge snow storm dumping 12 inches of snow with even higher drifts from the wind. Got out and moved all that snow out of the driveway and sidewalk this morning and now a another snow coming in to give us a few more inches. How cruel...

upload_2017-2-24_11-25-4.png

10. Stockaholic

Well, we're still dealing with freeze warnings around here. One weekend we're in the 70s then the next we're in the 50s. This might be the last of the colder temps for the season here ... albeit I've been thinking that for a while now and then this happens lol. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

11. Stockaholic

winter attempting to make a little comeback here lol

this might be the latest i've seen snow in the forecast for this time of the year ... crazy

[​IMG]

12. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Well-Known Member

I know the feeling :( Not the latest snow here but it is the time of year we start wishing it is over.
    • Austin, MN Source: National.Weather.Service
      2:56am CST, Sat Mar 11

... WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH MONDAY EVENING... * SNOW IS LIKELY FROM SUNDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH MONDAY EVENING. * TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 8 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE. * SIGNIFICANT REDUCTIONS IN VISIBILITY ARE POSSIBLE. * PLAN ON DIFFICULT DRIVING CONDITIONS. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW, SLEET OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS. &&

13. heyimsnuffles

It just snowed in Nashville this morning lol. 3 inches on the ground was gone by 10:30.

14. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

I live in Kingston Springs just west of you. We worked right through the snow flurries, Briley Parkway was a little fun, especially the Cumberland river bridge. I drive a commercial vehicle. Gonna be COLD tonight, in the 20s.

15. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

We're about to get some of that "liquid snow".... It's not as cold, but it's a lot wetter

And people down here drive like its "liquid ice"

16. Stockaholic

Haha, that is precisely what also ended up happening in Charlotte this morning. :p

17. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

That was nuts!

Snow flurries in the morning and now its sunny, it all melted!

18. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Got our first snow in months here in Northern Illinois.

19. Stockaholic

Big snow storm hitting much of the northeast this morning. I hope anyone who is getting hit hard stays safe out there!

20. Stockaholic

Finally some warmer temps for us here, 'bout time. We got some 70s headed our way. How about you guys?