What do YOU think about MY portfolio?!

Discussion in 'Investing' started by 4amTrades, May 28, 2020.

1. 4amTrades

4amTrades New Member

Hello All!

I just jumped into the Stockmarket, attached below is my $2700 investment across 10 companies. I use TDAmeritrade.

In the snapshot you will be able to see how many shares I own, and the price I bought them at. You will also be able to see the complete gains & losses. I am just curious what the community thinks about my investment decisions as a complete beginner. I plan on holding these positions for 3-10 years while adding to them. I am all ears to constructive criticism! If you have any long term positions in your portfolio let me know who you believe in!

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 7.22.48 PM.png

#1 4amTrades, May 28, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2020
    TomB16 likes this.
  2. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

As long as this is a long-term investment, which you made it sound like it is, I think it looks decent. I'm not much of an investor so I don't do much valuing of companies as I don't usually stay in more than 3-6 months. I'll let someone else value the companies.

Just from a worldview type of look though, I see some diversity and some companies I like. AAPL will always be around, DIS is scooping up market share in streaming to go along with their already strong platform, KO will always be around, SBUX will always be around, T is a strong dividend stock. I'm not quite sure how I feel about BA and JBLU. I guess over the LONG TERM I would be bullish because they will make some recovery if I had to guess, I just think it's going to be a few years until there are as many people flying as their used to be.

4amTrades likes this.
  3. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

I see you're a Buffett fan.

Investing is an individual thing. We all have areas of knowledge, ideas, timelines, goals, etc. It's unlikely yours overlap with mine.

When I look at that list, I see a list of good companies. One of the keys to investing, and were it is diametrically opposed to trading, is that we look for well run companies to hold for a long time. We want to share in the wealth produced by the companies, not surf price waves, trying not to fall off.

As a long term investor, I think your portfolio looks good, however, none of those companies are within my circle of strength. Now if you were to buy a battery, engineering, or energy company, I might be able to offer an opinion with a bit of value. lol!

Steph Quinn and 4amTrades like this.
  4. 4amTrades

4amTrades New Member

I am super interested in energy companies. Preferably renewable energy, but I have no idea where to begin. What companies do you think are on the right path?

5. 4amTrades

4amTrades New Member

Thank you for dropping your perspective! I agree, BA and JBLU are kinda my riskier picks, but that's what keeps the portfolio fun aha.

6. Steph Quinn

Steph Quinn New Member

I think with the small startup $, you are vulnerable by direct purchasing stock companies. Any 1 or more company tumbles you may suffer outsize loss. Your investment maybe more suitable for mutual funds or ETFs in MHO. Now if this is test money to learn, and you won't mind taking losses then its ok.

7. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Be aware you are responding a post made in 2020, I think the conversation ended a long time ago ;)

8. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Please accept my apology for missing this post, last May. It was not my intention to be rude.

I probably missed it because I was too tired from late night trading.

MrMike likes this.
  9. MrMike

MrMike Member

Nice stocks! Personally though, I try not to invest in companies if I don't have around $1,000. Paying a commission eats into the profit, when buying and selling - I'm looking at your MGM, SQ, T stocks. I'm with Questrade and the commission is $5 - what is it with TD?

What I do is when I get small dividends, I put it into an ETF - they are free to buy with Questrade. Then when that builds up to around $1K, then I sell and buy into a company. It use to take around 6 months for that to happen.

Then again, maybe my thinking makes me miss out.... Does anyone have a counter to buying a small amount of stocks regarding commission?

10. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

My brokerage used to charge 10 bucks per trade so that's 20 bucks, round trip. For that reason, I used to consider a minimum purchase of $2000 to make 1% commission loss. I would let dividends and interest build up to $2K and then pull the trigger on the stock I favored.

That was many years ago. Now my commission is less and I have scaled a wee bit beyond that level but I haven't forgotten trying to eek out every bit of efficiency I could out of the money I had, back in the day. It's a noble pursuit. :thumbsup:

MrMike likes this.
  11. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

I have no commissions in my 401k at Merrill Lynch now

MrMike and TomB16 like this.