Why do people wanna change thier methods?

Discussion in 'Investing' started by Kevin 1014, Oct 30, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Kevin 1014

Kevin 1014 New Member

I see that there are a lot of people who have been in the market for many years, who have very good and very wide knowledge, they know many trading methods and many of them are really good.

But it's strange that they still keep changing the method they're using, it's obsolete, no, it's because they don't persist in pursuing any method to the end, they just want to experiment and find more because they always doubt their own current method.

And I believe they will stay like that forever and can't be stopped for a lifetime.

2. WXYZ

WXYZ Well-Known Member

YES. Nothing wrong with fine tuning what you do. But....if it works and produces the end result that you want.......why change it at all.

On the other hand.....if "persist in pursuing any method to the end".....means sticking with a losing proposition HOPING that sooner or later it will work......it is a recipe for disaster and more and more losses.

BUT.....I am NOT a trader.......since I am a long term fundamental "INVESTOR"......so what do I know about how and what TRADERS should be doing.

3. MrMike

MrMike Member

You'll never discover greatness if you stick with what's good. I say that but I stick with dividend investing and I don't see that changing - I change which stocks I buy but not the overall dividend investing method.

TomB16 likes this.
  4. IMJ

IMJ Member

A lot of people change their method to fit their new paradigm. For example, a dividend investor might compound so well over time in an active brokerage account that it becomes cheaper for tax purposes to stop actively investing in dividends but instead to go into funds of some kind or maybe even go fully into an IRA. Now, someone here will argue that is ridiculous because an IRA locks the money up, until you realize the borrowing situation that a huge IRA can create for you. Eventually, your dividend growth investing can give way to borrowing someone else's money to invest.

And so with all of that illustrated, there are a lot of reasons to change methodology as opposed to blindly throwing money into the markets in a life time attempt at DCA. Not adapting to that is the same mentality as my buddy who is a luddite. I talk about the markets, but he will "continue to put his money into a regular savings account.... -states this next part in an exaggeratedly calm and metered manner- as I have always done."

shrugs okay, man cool. Do what you have always done. It's not wrong. shrugs

TomB16 likes this.
  5. TomB16

TomB16 Well-Known Member

Curious thread.

I've found people tend to get something in their head, do it until they run out of money, and then try to get money from any source possible in order to continue their downward trajectory.

My view is that people who continually monitor feedback on what they are doing and look for new approaches are enlightened. These are the people most likely to succeed.

Of course, the point is to objectively as possible access your own approach versus a new approach. Pick which ever has the best chance for success. Over time, you will go for very long periods before finding a better way, as your methods improve.

IMJ likes this.