Yahoo stock

Discussion in 'Ask any question!' started by Derrick, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Derrick

Derrick New Member

I have stock in Yahoo. Not sure if I should hold or sell now since it's currently doing well. If hold, I'm trying to figure out for how long. Any thoughts, let me know.

Thanks!

2. StockJock-e

StockJock-e Brew Master
    Staff Member

Its doing a lot better now that it was earlier this year.

If you are sitting on some good profits, lock some in.

Nobody ever went broke by taking a profit!

[​IMG]

Stockaholic likes this.
  3. T0rm3nted

T0rm3nted Moderator
    Staff Member

Not sure how much you're currently holding, but I agree with Gil. I'd be selling at least half to take some profits right now looking at that chart. It could go higher, but so many people miss out on selling at the highs because they wait too long and it drops back down.

leonx81 likes this.
  4. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Well-Known Member

You are never wrong if you decide to sell a position at a profit. Anyone can play coulda, shoulda, woulda when looking at a chart after things play out but no one can take your profit away. That said, you could sell a portion as mentioned above and let part of it continue. You can also consider using a trailing stop on all or the part you keep. If you don't mind risking a little per share if the trend breaks just set a stop limit at the point you think the trend will change. From the chart above, me personally, sees a stop no lower than 40 but would probably choose 41. Or, if your broker dealer accepts trailing stops I'd consider a 5% trailing stop. That would set it at around 40.60 on the last close. The nice thing about a trailing stop is that it raises the stop up as the stock goes up but does not change it if the price goes down. Risk with any stop loss set is the risk of a gap down so you want to avoid these types of stops when earnings are due to be reported.

leonx81 likes this.
  5. Derrick

Derrick New Member

Thanks all!