A Wyckoff Student Notebook

Discussion in 'Trade Journals' started by Onepoint272, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

I looked at June as a new range, because January-June looks to me like it's own distribution range..... Higher volume on the highs, slightly lower volume on the lows....... Leading into a mark down phase, which begins my June range

You can have ranges within ranges right?

image.png

2. Onepoint272

Onepoint272 2019 Stockaholics Contest Winner

Yes, you can have ranges within ranges, in fact the whole history of this stock is within a trading range. Dang, a reverse split at 1 for 75 o_O and they still don't make money. I wonder if they have a physical address or just a PO box in Las Vegas?

Monthly:
    upload_2017-4-15_21-46-20.png

Stocks I'm watching:
    AKS
    https://stockaholics.net/threads/aks-ak-steel-holding-corporation.800/page-2#post-51243

AMD
    https://stockaholics.net/threads/amd-advanced-micro-devices-inc.39/page-95

CVS

F
    https://stockaholics.net/threads/f-ford-motor-company.16/page-13

OPK
    https://stockaholics.net/threads/opk-opko-health-inc.19/page-2#post-51262

WYNN
    https://stockaholics.net/threads/wynn-wynn-resorts-ltd.141/page-7

#42 Onepoint272, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    Jrich likes this.
  3. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

4. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

Distribution range help

Up until now, shorting wasn't even an option for me, so I've only been focused on accumulation ranges..... But I finally decided to close my Robinhood account and I just funded my TD Ameritrade account today.... So now it's fair game!

I'm looking here at S... I have reason to believe this stock is in for a beating, but I will let the chart confirm that before I make a move

Here's the daily candles (Technician app doesn't have bars)... Plain to see the stopping of an uptrend and formation of a short range.... Then a break down out of that range, with previous support becoming resistance
    image.png

Technician app doesn't have P&F charts either, so I can't draw lines... But here's my count on a 0.25 x 1

BC = $9.50
    LPSY = $9.00
    11 boxes = $2.75

$9.00 - $2.75 = $6.25

image.png

Do I have this right??

If so, it doesn't seem like much of a trade.... But.... To quote Darcy Sears, cheerleader from Varsity Blues:

"Things change Mox"

5. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

So you went the margin route. Also PUTS can give you more leverage w less capital invested.

6. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Meat Popsicle

Looks right to me.

It's hugging the breakdown level of the previous range (i.e. distribution) on the re-test. That $6.25 level was the last time buyers took over the auction (just look at it on the volume histogram on that day in October). Market makers will want to see if there is still interest there - but $7.05 would be a safe scale out spot on the way down

......... that's IF this scenario plays out. All bets are off if it Wyckoff Springs back inside that range.

#46 Rock Sexton, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
    Jrich likes this.
  7. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

I saw that too.. $6.25 looks like the blast off point in 2016

Could be met with demand and stall there... But I have a feeling it won't

image.png

8. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

Options are a subject I've been avoiding for a while now!... I know the basics, and while it's better for small capital, I don't think it's better for TINY capital

Cause, one strike and I'm out..... If I take a %5 loss buying a stock, I still have %95 to try again..... If lose an option contract, I lose it all and start over

Right??

9. Onepoint272

But with options you have less invested for the same or more gain. So, if you were to short the stock and are willing to get stopped out with a $100 loss, you'd limit your put purchase to that amount. You get a crap load of leverage with options but timing is everything. Puts just out of the money are cheapest to buy when the stock price is making a high and more expensive when making a low. The other problem is time decay. Your puts get less and less valuable as they approach expiration.....sort of like house guests and dead fish.

Timbo and Jrich like this.
  10. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

Then maybe I have even MORE reading to do!

Timbo likes this.
  11. Onepoint272

Here's another way to look at a $0.25 x 1 PnF objective:

upload_2017-5-15_21-38-24.png

HOWEVER, as Rock pointed out, that little range after the smack down could turn out to be a spring. No follow-thru is troubling. The volume on the smack down is large yes, but doesn't really stand out on the volume chart....so it is questionable if it was a sign of weakness (SOW). Since demand is in the background (uptrend), supply has to prove itself. Do you think it has proven itself? Why won't it continue down? Is the CM buying it?

EDIT: The other thing worth noting is that it didn't spend much time above the PSY line. If the CM was distributing I would think he'd jack the price up above the PSY line and do it up there before that ER smack down.

upload_2017-5-15_21-40-52.png

#51 Onepoint272, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
  12. Onepoint272

I think it is best to learn timing by sticking with stocks and learn about options as you go. I would do more option trades but they take more attention than I currently have time for. Also, in a retirement account you are generally limited to selling puts (bullish position) and selling covered calls (collecting premium on stock already owned).

There are all sorts of options strategies, like vertical spreads (bullish and bearish), calendar spreads, butterflies, condors, etc, etc. I just don't have time for it. And to be honest, I prefer timing the market rather than defining my risk. Defining risk is for those who have no sense of timing in my opinion. But there is a place for all of it. For example, if I had time I might play some ERs with vertical spreads; straddles or strangles.

But a more important question.....J hooks or circle hooks for catfish?

Jrich and Timbo like this.
  13. Timbo

Timbo Active Member

By all means, I'm no expert and pretty much in the same boat as you, maybe you could paper trade a few options on the same stocks you trade. I try to stay basic, buying calls-puts. On my 2 hold positions, I sold calls for income and bought puts for a slight hedge. I play SPY, "BOTH SIDES" pretty regular. Just read the first post, don't want to clog up Onepoint's thread w off topic stuff.

14. Onepoint272

Yep, when I do trade options that's what I like to do too; stick with buying calls or buying puts just out-of-the-money, all or nothing. Mostly because I like timing the markets.

Don't worry about clogging up the thread. It's open to anyone. Would like to stick close to Wyckoff related stuff but Wyckoff can definitely be applied to options.

Timbo likes this.
  15. anotherdevilsadvocate

anotherdevilsadvocate Well-Known Member

Be careful of shorting Sprint because they could get bought out by a bigger telecom.
    The people who panicked and sold on the ER are the ones who think the earnings numbers matter in this play.

Jrich and Onepoint272 like this.
  16. Rock Sexton

If you're still finding your way around this type of method - I would hold off on anything that involves time decay. The more often you get to purely trade the chart of the stock the better.

17. Rock Sexton

Took a look a little further out at why that follow thru has been poor - it's actually the bottom of a distribution range that took place from Q1 and Q2 of 2014, but currently acting as support.

Onepoint272 likes this.
  18. Onepoint272

Yep, I see what you're looking at. So maybe it has more work to do up here? Apparently from the P&F it has already built enough cause for 5.75 which jives with that 5.83 swing low. Or it is a spring and this range is re-accumulation and building cause to head up to re-test 11.47. Hmmm, I'm leaning bullish.

Weekly:
    upload_2017-5-16_0-47-3.png

19. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

Well, while i was distracted by S, BBRY finally made a move

So I'm all in at $10.30 (stop@ $9.78)... And to think, I was in at $8.90 before I sold it to switch accounts:mad:

Oh well... Looking at the overhead resistance around $11.70, I might be able to move my stop up to my break even point before a pull back happens

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

#59 Jrich, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Onepoint272 likes this.
  20. Jrich

Jrich Well-Known Member

I like J-hooks (preferably offset J-hooks)... Higher percentage

Circle hooks are aimed at the catch & release angler... Since they typically only penetrate on the way out, you get more "lip hooks" and less "throat hooks"

But if the fish is going in the frying pan anyway, what's the difference??

image.jpeg

#60 Jrich, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Onepoint272 likes this.